Stroke?

DutchKiwiCowboy2

One of my Tiger Barbs has suddenly started to swim a little bit funny. She flounders for a while then swims in circles to the left then flounders again while twitching her tail to the left. A dark spot has appeared about two mm behind her right eye below the skin surface. She also seems a little pale although her stripes are very dark.

Could this be some sort of stroke? has anyone got any other ideas?

I will put her in a breeding nursery to seperate her from the others as my other tank has baby barbs in it.

New Development.

Flounder (as I now call her) seems to be improving again. She is using her her head more to swim around but her right side still seems to be paralised. She hangs around the edges of the group agian and seems to be eating a little again. looks like there might still be some hope after all. :)

• 1 month later...

Just an update on Flounder.

She has recovered fairly well and is doing fine. She still swims by swishing her body rather that using her tail but she has adapted so well that you wouldn't pick it if you didn't know about it. She seems to be blind in her right eye because food floating by on that side doesn't get noticed whereas food going to her left gets pounced on.

She has rejoined the group and gets chased by the males when they're in the mood.

We think she had another small stroke a couple of weeks ago, but that didn't seem to affect her very long.

As long as she looks to be coping I'm happy.

I know nothing about strokes in fish and whether or not they are possible, but based on what I know of human strokes, I would suggest looking at the paired fins on her body. See if there is movement on the good side only!! Perhaps she has had a ruptured blood vessel causing the bleed (dark spot) and the stroke. Also a head injury could cause both - friends have cat with head injury - strange way of walking and head turns to one side. Happy cat though.

Good that she is getting better...

• 3 weeks later...

Stroke?

My advice would be;

- Aspirin once a day

- Check it doesn't smoke

- Fasting Glucose and Cholesterol blood test

- ecg to check heart rhythm is regular

- Regular excercise

- NZ stroke foundation number is 0800 stroke, not sure they have an aquatic branch though.

I hope that helps. :wink:

• 3 months later...

RIP Flounder :cry:

Even though Flounder recovered very well and managed to addapt to an almost normal swimming style she has finnaly passed on.

A few weeks ago She lost the bottem half of her tail fin, probably to normal roughhousing amongst Tiger Barbs. There was no sign that it was starting to grow back, so I moved her to a hospital tank so that she might have some peace and quiet to recover. Unfortunately the transfer seems to have been too much of a shock to her, even though the water peramaters were exactly the same as the tank she came from.