Driftwood and Sand

Michelle.g

I'm hoping to drive over to Hokitika (West Coast of Sth Island) this weekend and while I'm there have a look for driftwood and sand/gravel for a 4ft freshwater tank. The tank will have discus in it and be planted.

Is driftwood from a beach ok? Or should I use wood from a river bed? If I scrub the outside of the wood and boil it will it be ok?

And I would like to get sand from a river bed if it's suitable. How would I clean it? Could beach sand be used instead?

Oh, and if anyone has good ideas where to collect nice driftwood or sand between Chch and Hokitika that would be awesome! :D

Michelle.

I always thought (and it sounds alright to me) to get driftwood from the beach because the salt water it had been drifting in and salt at beach etc will have killed any freshwater nasties in it..

As for the sand you can take whatever sand you want and use it for you tank you just have to be careful it doesn't leach anything into the water thats nasty or will change the water chemistry (unless your aiming for it like coral sand in an african tank). Freshwater gravel/sand could contain nasties so best to boil it before use, I think beach sand maybe too small and might ruin your filters, but ive never used it so unsure..

good luck!

Make sure you use river sand - sand from the beach is very dirty and often too coarse. As far as driftwood goes I'd be very inclined to buy a piece of bogwood - driftwood from the beach can contain all sorts of nasties and is a real pain to disinfect / nuetralise (you have to soak it in freshwater for months).

I get all my driftwood from the Hokitika beach. All I do is give it a good rinse with the hose when I get home. Go to the mouth of the river as that is where you find the native waterlogged stuff. Get the dark wet stuff, not the white bleached stuff that is everywhere above the high tide line. Best to look after a good storm or heavy rain as that is when new wood is washed down the river.

Just rinse the sand or gravel you collect. It will be fine.

The logs in my tank come of the beach at Hoki and the sand comes from the Taramakau about 15mins west of Jacksons. Give the logs a good go with the hose and wash the sand as I said. Make sure you get some Fish & chips from Porkies b4 you leave Hoki. The stones from the Taramakau are also nice.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have seen the driftwood at Hokitika before and it's very nice, and free too! :D So I will try find a couple of nice pieces when I'm over there. The driftwood is not needed immediately so if I give it a bit of a scrub, a good rinse and leave it soaking in water in a covered container outside until it's needed is this ok?