3mm glass?

ryanjury

If you were to make a tank 600 x 300 x 300 from 3mm, I would not allow anyone I had any say with to even visit

In glazing with all sides totally supported, 3mm glass is allowed to be glazed to .50 of a meter and that is .45 of a meter. The wind load is considered too strong. As a glass merchant, I could be find up to a max of $500,000 if I sold a bit of 3mm over .50 and knew it was for glazing.

You tell me if its worth it? :x

I was thinking of making 600 x 300 tanks but having a permanent divider in the middle for support.. It will be in my fishroom and just for initial grow out tanks.. The pieces of glass are 600 x 600 so quite big..

Is the stress more with taller tanks? Would I get away with smaller 30cm tanks? Or am I better to just use it for lids? Even though they're in my fishroom I wouldn't want a tank to break or anything..

Well say if you were to make a 600 x 300 x 300 tank with a permanent divider in the middle that would make it two 300 x 300 x 300 tanks. So would 3mm glass be suitable for a 300mm cube tank? Im not sure. I know i wouldnt want to make a tank that size with that thickness glass but is it possible? Barrie will be the best person to answer that question :D

Don't understand why you claim 3mm glass is inadequate.

These tanks are 600X300 wide by 450 deep.. and are all 3mm glass... and at one point I had 40 of them running for around eighteen months .. without mishap.

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/grumpy ... 0Tanks.htm

Sure... if you have a lot of traffic... with people banging things around and knocking the glass... then use something heavier... but if they are for the seclusion of a fishroom with limited access... then 3mm is fine... IMO :)

Bill, Next time your in Auckland, get in touch and I will show you through the factory and If you give me time I will make a 3mm tank and show you the effects of it breaking. I will show you the wind loading tabled with the deflection figures and how far the glass will fly and if I can, get in touch with one of the industry leaders and see if they will have a talk to you.

Again

This IS MY TRADE and if people are not willing to listen to a person with 40 years in the glass trade and all the books that are used then thats their problem (and anyone else thats around when they break)

I know people that drive home drunk almost every day and have never had a problem but one day they will, and when that day arrives, it becomes other people problem.

Bill, this is NOT a go at you and it should NOT be read this way, Im just quite simply scared at the problems when something goes wrong when the glass is used for something other than what it is designed for

A bit like fish I suppose... some say don't put this with that.. Don't do this... but others do and get away with it.

In the mid 1960's when the first silicone sealers appeared.. they said it was impossible to build a tank without a frame.. but being one of the early pioneers of AGT's in the UK I... and others proved it was possible.

Back then we didn't use top strips for extra strength.. and most tests were done with trial and error... but Pilkington's (where I used to get my glass).. thought it was brilliant.. :)

Bill, Next time your in Auckland

:):) Housebound

The chances of a tank "shattering" is remote.. as most accidents are caused through poor construction.. and invariably the glass would .. either crack.. or give way at the seams.

As I said above...

Sure... if you have a lot of traffic... with people banging things around and knocking the glass... then use something heavier... but if they are for the seclusion of a fishroom with limited access... then 3mm is fine... IMO

My tank building days are over... but for normal houshold use.. I wouldn't use 3mm on tanks of this size.

Bill.

Moving this to Technical Section.

This link is one of the best resources for glass calculations for aquarium.

There is even a spreadsheet calculator you can download and try all your various combinations.

A safety factor of 3 or over is preferrable for all glass tanks.

Remember also, that the thinner the glass the less area for the sealant to adhere to.

And the best thing is, this link is on this very site.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/articles/technical/glassthickness/