Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

green water

Featured Replies

Now that i have my Cichlid tank up and running i though because they dont like a planted tank if i keeped up the water change's things would be fine. But no... green water, green glass i just dont know to fix it? some algae on the back of the tank is good for the fish so how do i fix the rest?

I dont think i am over feeding them (2x), water every two weeks (up to 50%)

I get it in my african tanks all the time..

I found the green water was caused by excessive phosphates (get a test kit of borrow a friends) mine came from using cheap spirilina flake, I stopped using it and the water cleared up eventually... It can also be caused by over feeding decaying plant matter etc, you can also get phosphate remover but its quite expensive.. You can get a UV sterilizer to get rid of the green water, I think its algae that grows when you have an excess of nutrients (phosphates)

The green algae on the glass is that little green spots? I find the bristlenoses don't eat this type and I think its caused by too much sunlight.. I just scrape the algae off the front glass with an eftpos card weekly and it keeps it under control.

Good luck with it I'm sure you will get it under control, also watch your fish some of the fish you have in your sig don't usually work out well in a tank as small as yours (auratus and possible kenyi).. How big are they atm?

  • Author

3 of them are about 4 inchs, The bristlenose he maybe bigger but he dosnt like to come out of his cave

As Ryan said it's not uncommon in African tanks.

Try a few more frequent changes for a couple of weeks, and try and break cycle.

I hate adding chemicals to any of tanks but your fish are quite robust so algae fix is a possibility.

Longer term- where is the tank situated? is there a lot of ambient/direct light and fluctuations in ambient temp. Also you could consider a UV filter for tank also.

  • Author
As Ryan said it's not uncommon in African tanks.

Try a few more frequent changes for a couple of weeks, and try and break cycle.

I hate adding chemicals to any of tanks but your fish are quite robust so algae fix is a possibility.

Longer term- where is the tank situated? is there a lot of ambient/direct light and fluctuations in ambient temp. Also you could consider a UV filter for tank also.

As my fish also eat algae (just seems not to be alot of what is in my tank) wont that kill them?

The tank is in the same place as the old one, but as i said now i dont have plants in it. (see other posts i did have 2 tanks )

Will the algae kill the fish? Its their natural diet they love it and do well on it :)

If your tanks in the same place with no plants, I would put it down to the food, check the phosphate levels see whats going on, plants will absorb nutrients in the water stopping them feed the algae, also if your tank was planted chances are you were feeding different food to what you feed your africans these are all things that will cause the algae.

What food are you feeding? Are you overfeeding? What filtration are you running?

  • Author

filtration is part of the Aqua One AR 980

I feed them JBL Novo Rift sinking sticks in the morning and at night blood worms or shrimp brine and a JBL Novo Pleco pill for the bristlenose

and i was asking if the algae killer would kill the fish as they feed on it.

Oic no I think the fish would be fine with the algae killer, I don't exactly know how it works, I would go for the cause rather than add stuff to knock it out because once you stop adding it you will probably just have another outbreak and have to add more..

I would cut back on the bloodworms I don't feed them at all they have been linked to bloat and other problems so I don't think its worth it especially in africans they have also been linked to phosphates etc in the water mainly due to the juice in them fouling the tank... Others will disagree and it is upto you, but IMO there are plenty of safer (and alot cheaper options) I just use shrimp from the supermarket you can chuck them in whole or blend them with pea's and gelatin and freeze them.

Heres some reading on feeding.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/feeding_mbuna.php

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/f ... chlids.php

Also an article on algae..

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/algae_control.php

And phosphates

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/phosphates.php

Good luck!

If you choose the algaefix be on the light side with the dilution rate, be sure to take into account rocks etc and the amount of water they displace so treating the amount of water and not the capacity of the tank.

I trust you are thawing and straining the bloodworm. Even stop feeding for a few days, it won't hurt the fish you have in the slightest.

I guess it's just a case of trying to halt the cycle that the tank is in.

  • Author

yes and no .. i get some water out of the tank and put the blood worms in that for 10 or 20 mins and then tip the whole thing in.

Its best to put the bloodworm cube(s) into a fine net and rinse them under running water for about 30 secs to a minute until they are defrosted (hot water dos it instantly lol) and then put them in without the juices. the bloodworm juice contains large amounts of phosphate so that will be why you are getting green water

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.