3 Foot Tank Alright for Africans?

Dixon1990

Julies are Julidochromis family, Lake Tanganyikan family. They can be fair little devils towards each other but well worth keeping. J. marlieri are a fair bit more docile than J. transcriptus.

Hoplos probably will go ok with E yellows, however, they both require different water conditions so you may want to look at that factor if you are keeping your water parameters at the required level for african cichlids. I wouldn't push it with more aggressive mbuna tho with hoplos, ie Johanni or anything like that.. E yellows are more of a placid mbuna compared to other species.

Val may last a while, but eventually gets hammered (speaking from experience) it is not as tough as anubias, anubias works ok with Africans. They may have the odd tug on it, but it's pretty tough really.

I don't know about other peoples yellows but if its vegetation it will get eaten.. Or if it is not really edible it will atleast get yanked out by the roots and yanked around the tank for a few laps.. :roll: But those are just my ones, they all have different personalities.

I have all sorts of plants (Anubis, Val Java Fern, Swords, Crypts) in with my fish (E Yellows) and nothing gets eaten or pulled out provided you have secured it !

Not the best picks but you can see the plants !

fishtank037.jpg

TRADEME043.jpg

Nice looking tank johannes..

The jullies I was talking about that im breeding are the marlieri

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/j_marlieri.php

I had 6 in half a 4ft tank with peacocks yellow's and other randoms and then seperated a pair out to breed they spawned and didn't actually get that agro when they were in the mixed tank.. Cool looking little fish!

Yeah I was surprised how lax mine where when breeding in a mixed tank.. However once they had fry and I had them divided out one of the other jullies jumped the divider, I found it almost dead floating around the tank it died but they must have hammered it, it was quite funny when they bred in the mixed tank they didn't really care about others coming near their babies.. As soon as they got by themselves they got pretty protective.. Very cool little fish though :)