ooo

PC100

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like Ultimate Reefs, SQL database (or the server it's running on) has decided it's time for a lunch break.

So it's not displaying your image. Ira's probably using the sad excuse for an internet browser (aka Internet Explorer) which defults to a red X when it can't load an image.

OR Ira's taken too many of the reds ones and not enought of the blue ones :wink: (joking)

Layton

Actually, it's even worse than just using a sad internet browser. I'm using a sad excuse for a computer(Some compaq terminal) that can't even display animated gifs.

but, the browse I use at home is worse, doesn't seem to show ANY kind of broken image icon.

URs backend is out, I am sure it will be back soon enough. We shouldn't be linking from there anyway.

We need some perminant online diskspace and upload access, local would be best. I could do it from here but have no intention of running a PC 24/7. Anyone else got access to free disk?

3TB seems like a lot, how do you end up with 3TB of disk at home? Thats more disk than we use at Parliment for 1100 users (in fact thats 3x more disk). Infact thats approx 2x as much disk as ACC uses accross all of NZ.

You can buy a static from Telecom, not expensive.

We don't need a static anyway though, if you've got 24/7 access and lots of disk I can organise DDNS for it as long as your running Windows or Linux (no Unix, no Sun, no Apple). 1-5gb should be plenty. Would also need a service to upload to it, FTP is OK for me but some form of easy to use htm would be better.

Or better yet can you provide this service via the front end software running on you web site?

Pies

Well... not at home. One of the companies I work for happens to be the family business, so I could have access to it if I wanted. It's storage for a commercial printing / prepress business, there's really about 5 TB of data all up across two raid 5 systems (fibre channel interface).

All powered by Apple computer. Got 2 of these http://www.apple.com/xserve/raid/ and one of these http://www.apple.com/xserve/. It supports both Mac and PC users.

Just switched over from a Windows 2000 based system. Similar spec, but the Mac now maxes out the gigabit ethernet at 51 MBytes/sec (no Jumbo frames), in comparison to 20 MBytes/sec from the previous PC (crippled by Windows no doubt). Cost around 67% of any other PC based system we could find. No viruses written for Mac OS 10.3 yet either.

Anyway, maybe this should be something that the Marine Aquarium Society should look at, there are plenty of data centers in India and the like with VERY low rates and offer plenty of storage. (Their uptime is usally not the best, but still around 98.5%) I only pay US $12 a year for hosting of www.reefcentral.co.nz (only gets 25MB though), so it's dirt cheap.

Layton