Filter shut off!

Caper

When I got up today, was checking my tanks (today was water change & cleaning day). The filter was OFF in my goldfish tank! I have no idea how long or why. I checked the ammonia and it was just short I'd say of registering .25. Anyway, when I did the water change I took out any extra bucket.

My power wasn't off as my clock in the bedroom wasn't blinking. The other 2 tanks' filters were running. The only thing I didn't think of was to check to see if the power bar was turned off. I was wondering if it was possible that one of the cats somehow managed to stand on it just the right way to shut it off, or is that being totally ridiculous.

Caper :P

Does the power bar (sounds like an energy bar) have an over heat function or a RCD cut out. If so then the power bar may have been taking a bit to much juice for its own good. It use to happen alot on my pc powerboard, i would plug to much into it and everything would shutdown cos the board had over heated.

The only things that were plugged into it were the heater, filter, and light. Oh, I also had a small lamp plugged into it (which I moved today). There are a few more outlets that I can use on it but don't. Therefore, I don't think it overheated.

Caper

So was the switch off or was everything powered on properly and it just wasn't running?

I believe a cat could probably put enough weight on a switch if if was laying flat and a cat couidl stand right on it. (We have one cat that channel surfs alot! I know those remotes are easier to switch that physical switches but I'm sure he could do those too....his nickname is PSI - 'pounds per square inch' cause of the amount or pressure he can put on you from his bony little feet!

A big bubble...ah, how does that happen? :oops:

Caper

It can happen a few different ways - it can collect on sponge and then 'bubble up' to the impeller, and there's a process called 'cavitation' where the pump causes bubbles to form when the impeller spins through gas-laden water (like what goes into your tank with a big water change) - and it collects into a bigger bubble - they are usually blown through the filter, but not always.

So was the switch off or was everything powered on properly and it just wasn't running

I don't remember :oops: the first thing I did was check to see if that was the plug that shuts off if you hit the switch (on wall). I remember switching the bar back on but I don't know if I originally shut it off or not :-? :-?

But the filter has been working fine, since it has been back on and with no power outage I can't think of anything else other than the cat managing to step on it. Ginger might be heavy enough I know I feel it when she stands on my chest. 8)

How long do hang on filters usually last?

Caper