How would I add dechlorinator?

Caper

MARINA AQUA-VAC AQUARIUM VACUUM WATER CHANGER 25' HOSE

The dept. store has these in (had to goggle since I couldn't remember the exact name!)...but I have to add water conditioner because of my water. But, it would be soooooo much easier if I had something like this thing!

So question, how would I safely add the conditioner to the tank if I'm getting water directly from the tap to the tank?????

Caper :P

Haven't tested this week, but the last time things were where they should be.

Yes, I have to add conditioner because our water has chlorine & apparently chloramine. Plus, the pipes in the apartment are copper.

Caper

If your water has chloramine added then you should use conditioner, agitation wont get rid of that. Most NZ water doesn't have that added, so we have less issues and often water conditioner is not needed.

I would add a little water conditioner to a jug of water, mix it up and pour that into the tank, then fill up the rest with the hose. The nasties in the water will be neutralised pretty much instantly when it mixes with the conditioner in the tank 8)

Cheers

Ian

I have posted this before but here we go again.

All water contains organics (mainly amines from proteins) that react with chlorine to form chloramines.

All chlorinated water supplies contain chloramines

A search through Mrs Google (God's Mother in Law) will give you information on the manufacture of monochloramines by the reaction of chlorine and ammonia.

This is used in some countries (mainly the US) to disinfect drinking water rather than chlorine

If there is chlorine in the water there will also be chloramines.

Thanks all :bow::bow:

Ray bought it for me today :bounce: :bounce:

In the directions that came with it, it said to add water conditioner to the tank before adding in new water :P But I will do as you folks suggested, add to some water mix then add to tank.

:(:( The adaptors wouldn't fit my taps (kitchen or bathroom). I'm going to see if I can get something at a hardware store to make it work. Maybe I can get some kind of fitting to allow the adaptors that came with it to work? Or would that not be a good idea?

Caper :P