new tank

doch

What is pea metal? Is that just pea sized gravel? Africans like to dig most people use the coral sand and that because it buffers the water but they will happily live with gravel they will move it if they have to :) There are other ways of buffering the water if you need too..

As for water specs you want a high ph and hard water, have you measured either? I cant tell you what it is in my tanks because I don't measure it everything is happily breeding and haven't had any reason to doubt its a problem..

Have you decided what fish your going to add?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ph is my tank is 8, I cant measure GH the only test set I have the instructions for must have expired because I add more heaps of drops and the water doesn't change colour..

If anyone has the instructions for the hagen GH test set I can tell you, I add 7 drops of the stuff but unsure if its in ppm or degree's or what..

Just post on here what you get and we can let you know if its ok :)

It will be in german degree's because hagen is a german kit :)

Heres what you should be aiming for..

"lake Malawi's pH ranges from 7.8 to 8.6, with a total hardness of 4.0-6.0 dH. The reason for the variation is caused by the level of Carbon Dioxide dissolved in the water. In areas with turbulent water, where the water is better aerated, the pH is higher, while in calm bays, the level of dissolved Carbon Dioxide is higher; consequently, the pH is lower there. Surface temperature ranges from 76 to 85 degrees, while the temperature at lower levels of the lake remain at a constant 70 degrees. Carbonate hardness ranges from 6.0 to 8.0."

Taken from http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/l ... africa.php

Obviously it can be within those ranges as fish can adjust but these are ideal..

Cool info Ryan.

A shot of my display tank, and I agree with Ryan it is a bugger to get a good one.

All my buffering comes from substrate, coral rock in the tank and then finger coral and limestone chip in the filter. This get PH to 8.0 which I'm OK with as I'm on Tank water so my PH is naturally low compared to most town supplies. Not sure on hardness, but I suspect a little on the soft side. I have in the breeding tank some limestone rock-7kgs of beautiful white rock I lugged back from south of France in a suitcase. I smashed a piece up for the filter and that gave me ph of 8.4. We are lucky here in Nz that even our tap water is in pretty good nick.

DSC_0067.jpg