neons losing colour in patches in red bit on tail

chrisa

have 6 neons and 2 of them have something going on. First noticed round patch of loss of colour on red both sides by tail. Looked this morning and another has it. One is getting worse and spreading up the body still on the red bit on its body though and from back when its swimming looks swollen in that area. All eating and swimming fine at the moment. I looked on internet and can't find anything similar. I'm guessing it is just the very early stages of something. Has anybody else had something similar going on or know what it is and how to treat. I would appreciate any comments.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all the above for the posts and links - really helpful thread. I am certain that NTD responsible for the loss of all eight of my neons in the last week. My question is:

What about the other fish? - I was about to transfer some to another tank. I have gouramis, bristlenoses (breeding pair), guppies, sword tails, and one zebra danio who all look fine. Oh and an apple snail.

I have just donea 75% water change, and have two filters running. I will gravel vac every few days til I am sure I have all the gravel scrubbed, and will take out the stones for a week or two in the sunlight. Any other tips? From what I have read I can't find any info on the risks for my other species in my tank.

When I got these neons, one had a deformed spine, and another didn't school together - you live and learn eh!!

Cheers,

Sam