help with 38w t8 ballast

jimbob

i got three arcadia t8 fluro ballasts (they say model ac36nz type C5) along with a filter i bought on trademe.

they are rated for 36/38w tubes.

anyways, i need to light a 2ft tank so thought that two 18w tubes in series would be the same as one 36w tube. so off to the hardware store i go and buy 2 $7 tubes.

when i turn it on both of the tubes flash periodically (as they usually do when you turn on t8s) but don't stay lighted (i left it trying for about 30s before i turned it off.

should this have worked?

if not, can i make it work?

if not, is it safe to just run 1 18w tube off this ballast? i would really prefer one tube anyway...

Running two tubes in series doesn't always work. The problem is...Well...You're doing it wrong.:P

With magnetic ballasts when you turn on the power the starter puts electricity through the at each end on each of the tube to heat them up. This ionizes the gas inside the tube enough for it to become electrically conductive. Once both are hot the starter flips over and tries to run the current from one end of the tube to the other which makes it light up. If the gas inside isn't conductive enough you just a blink, the light goes out and you have to start over. That's why you get the lights usually flickering a couple times before they stay on.

When you run two in a series if either one doesn't actually light it breaks the circuit so neither will light and then maybe the next time around the other won't light...

I have though gotten it work several times reasonably reliably, but I think you might need an oversized ballast to have much chance.

There are a lot of fixtures that do have two lights run off a single ballast though, I think they use a special type of starter.

thanks guys.

i thought it would work because when i opened up the unit (the person i got it from had cut all the wires so i needed to solder them together again) there were 2 circuits. one with a single tube, and another with two tubes in series.

perhaps i could run two 45cm t8s? 13/14w

it worked fine with one tube. i just wanted to know that it wasnt going to overheat or anything like that.

ill just run it with 1 tube for a while and monitor it.

thanks for the help :)

You can get two tubes in series going on the ballast you have. You need to by two new starters. There's a special type of starter for series connected tubes that allows them to start either at the same time or at different times so they don't just sit there flashing at you. Can't remember the type - S20 maybe. The electrical store you got the tubes from should be able to tell you which starter to use and the circuit for wiring them is somewhere on the internet (if they don't know that as well)...

that was what i was concerned about re running one bulb.

didnt know what the ballast did, and i was worried about something like that...

think i will just hold off on everything til i have more time to investigate... the tank doesnt have anything in it at the mo, was just wanting to be prepared...

Bare magnetic ballasts are about $8 last time I bought one from an electrical wholesaler, so if you need a certain wattage, then go that route, but by the time you get endcaps and starter sockets and the .75mm solid core wire you need to wire it up, the pre made one on petplanet that does t5's looks like a better and better deal.

ha yeah, i got a twin t5 unit from there for my 3ft brackish tank. if you go into the shop michael is a great source of info too :)

just that i have these three units that i got along with a filter i bought, so thought if i could get them to suffice it saves me spending money on a 2ft light. i am a student after all... :P

in the holidays i will look at wiring one up with a second starter... or instead i could save the hastle and just work a few more hours to pay for a unit... hmmm... :wink:

thanks for the info everyone :)

Hi All

As Warren says ypu can connect the two 18 watt tubes in series and use "S2" Starters.

The starter goes across the tube (from one pin on one end to the same side pin on the other end)

The left over pin on one end goes to the other tube and the other to the "L" contact on the ballast.

Good luck.

Electrical Regn. I2887

• 2 weeks later...

fyi the 2 s2 starters worked a treat. i now have 2 2fts running on a tank i temorarily set up to hold some fish until my saltwater tank is ready.

only prob is i didnt know what tubes to buy from the hardware store, so 1 of the ones i bought is a horrible yellow colour.

ha, oh well, its only temporary....