Eels - can you mix them?

henward

It isn't good to mix tyre tracks, they fight, speaking from experience, they are fair devils too when they decide to crack one another :o

Fire Eels and Tyre Tracks mix well, we keep two together.

Tyre Tracks years down the track when they reach a good size will eat Spiney Eels no doubt, Tyre Tracks can grow to a good size, between 75-90cm long and pretty big bodied and you can imagine, big mouthed.

You can't mix native eels and tropicals, neither of them would tolerate the temps that either eel requires.

As I understood it, Fire Eels and Tyre Track Eels are both considered Spiny Eels from the Mastacambelidae family. They aren't eels at all but unusual tropical fish. I have a 35cm fire eel and until recently had a Peacock eel as well. They got on ok. Your greatest challenges will be water temp (Native eels need much cooler water) and diet as the Spinys like worms and shrimp but would probably get pushed aside at meal time by the piggy natives.

Yeap you are definately right vegemite they aren't an "eel"... There is a really BIG tyre track in Palmy and he would certainly eat any smaller species of spiney like half banded spiney etc...

A.PROPHECY my tyre track and fire eel are a very decent size and they are as good as gold, even share the same area in the tank by choice and feed happily together. A friends are the same. But two tyre tracks together even from a small size fought from first sight.

cos i like eels and unusual fish and snakes

so figure eels are the next best thing

unfortunate about nz eels, id like to mix them but i gues not.

peacock eel?

also known as spiny eel?

cool

for 3 eels, what size tank?

i mean lets say all im puttin in there are the eels.

2 foot? 3 foot?

The tyre track long term will need a large tank, if you were able to go and spot the one at Wet Pets in Palmerston, then you will see what I mean, I am pretty sure he is in a 6ft display, if he/she is still there, would be mean to keep it in anything less at the size it is at.