Deep sand beds

kevan

Nope, and probably never will... well definately not in a display tank, maybe I would consider doing one in a separate sump plumbed to a main tank, but even then I don't know if I would.

My main problem with them is that they just seem to be "dirty", they may be alright for a year or two but then they eventually clog up with crap and crash, unless they have been frequently maintained. Maintenance is not something which appeals to me, especially when it involves piles of stinking sand and crap.

I would much prefer to keep sand clean of any crap, and even, to an extent, nitrifying bacteria. I think the bacterial processes are better handled by live rock where once nitrites are converted to nitrates they can be more efficiently converted to gaseous nitrogen (due to higher densities of nitrate to support the required bacteria strains to reduce it). For this to occur in a sand bed, it requires that the bed becomes stagnant. The live rock method seems cleaner to me.

So to answer your question, no I don't use a dsb, not because they don't work, they definately do, just that i'm lazy and don't want the hastle of maintaining one.

Layton

Its important that you keep in mind that a DSB means DSB. This is where Steve & I went wrong. The rule of thumb seams to be less then 2 inches or more than 8 inches. Anything that falls between, as Layton sais is a 'dirt trap' and will do more harm than good.

I run a DSB in my sump, my nitrates are 0 (no vodka, Sugar, Zeovit or anything else) and you do get dfferent types of critters in there.

The biggest problem with a DSB is really that they do become a trap for disolved metals (the same as live rock). So if your going to use a product like Zeovit then this stops being a problem. However if you are going to use Zeovit it rids the tanks of Nitrates anyway so not really any need for the DSB so it becomes moot.

I don't agree with Layton that the DSB will crash in a few years, many people on RC running 8 year old DSBs with no ill effects.

I think the DSB is one of those things thats in and out of vogue. If you are going to use one, use it in a remote sump, not the display. But I suspect you can get just as good a result without one. There is little to no maintenance on the DSB so not really an issue (I do NOTHING to mine), but it is something else that can go wrong, and probably is not adding a great deal of benifit to the tank.

So yes I am using one, and yes I would use one again. However mine is in a remote sump, and I am more interested in it from a biological divertity point of view than anything else. If I was setting up a tank from scratch would I use another one? I would, but I have no claims of effectiveness but I can't imagine it hurting.

Pies

Don’t think is luck Steve, just your good water management, like huge skimmer and plenty of water changes and only a few fish.

Generally high nitrates/phosphates are the result of too many fish due too all the feeding.

I can’t get my phosphates down to zero, even with 2 Litres of salifert phosphate remover. My results show phosphates of .25.

I agree with Reef, Steve you do massive water changes, have a massive skimmer and have a light fish load so its all good for you tank. Reef however has so many fish in his tank I am surprised the larger ones have enough room to turn around! :)

I am trying to do the same thing. Good skimming, light fish load, light feeding, regular water changes (10% once a month minimum).

Pies