Seawater in Hatch'n'Feeders

Janelle

I got a Tom's Brine Shrimp Hatch'n'Feeder. The instructions are clear enough but I have a problem. I want to use seawater I've collected, but as soon as I put the unit in the tank it fills up completely with the tank water. I'm afraid to experiment in case I get salt water into the main tank.

Can anyone tell me what I can do to get seawater into the hatching chamber without it flowing into the main tank?

I tried it anyway, hoping the seawater wouldn't seep out. Not so sure it didn't since the instructions say "cover the fish guard to ensure salt water does not flow out into aquarium." Anyway, most of the babies died while it was in there and I guess my temp wasn't high enough for any shrimp to hatch anyway.

I'm going to try again later with the hatcher in its own tank.

Maybe they were just weak? It was all my 2 day old platy fry. The 4 day old platy fry survived and the 3 day old cory fry also survived so.... yeah, I'm not sure. I would've thought the cory fry would be more sensitive to poor water conditions.