HELP!

jhct

:cry: White spot.

Tank currently has a silver shark, a plec, 2 x Angels, a Black Knife. Tank temp is at 27 degrees and does have carbon in the filter.

Im 99% certain the shark has white spot. I understand any treatment could hurt the black knife?

The Local FS has Metelyn Blue as a treatment and said just keep adding it daily until it seems the white spot has gone.?

The one in palmy has a combo of Malcrite Green and Soliformline (excuse the spelling), they said the white spot should go within 24 hours, but i can't get to Palmy until sunday!

What should i do. If needed i could move the black knife to my other tank which has neons, guppies, glass fish, and a clown loach but I then risk transferring disease??.

I got white spot in my tank with a BGK and all I did was up the temp to 28 and put in some tonic salt. It took about a week before it was totaly gone, but didn't cost lots of money and didn't risk the lives of any of the fishies.

I got white spot in my tank with a BGK and all I did was up the temp to 28 and put in some tonic salt. It took about a week before it was totaly gone, but didn't cost lots of money and didn't risk the lives of any of the fishies.

I do have some green aquarium salt, so is everyone agreed i should just add that and up the temp??

What I bought here for Ich was supposed to be safe for all fishies, so I don't know about what you have there!

But, don't forget when you add meds remove your carbon or else it will absorb the meds.

Good luck...keep us updated!

Caper

ok so i should -

remove carbon from filter

go with the local methlyn blue med and follow its instructions

from my reading the above will sort the fungi thats in the water but what should i do for the shark who is showing the spots? should i also raise the temp and give salt? or is that too much?

should i move the black knife to my other tank??? :o

Take the carbon out. Do a water change. Raise the temperature to 29 degrees if you have an extra airstone and can keep the water well oxygenated (the hotter water gets, the less oxygen it can hold, the harder the fish has to breath). Throw the salt away - it isn't much good for anything except making chips taste better. Traet with the Blue as per the instructions - don't overdose.

Take the carbon out. Do a water change. Raise the temperature to 29 degrees if you have an extra airstone and can keep the water well oxygenated (the hotter water gets, the less oxygen it can hold, the harder the fish has to breath). Throw the salt away - it isn't much good for anything except making chips taste better. Traet with the Blue as per the instructions - don't overdose.

And the meds wont effect my black knife?

Maybe start with raising the temp and adding some more airation.

I'd wait until you were able to closely supervise the fish if you're worried about meds affecting them.

Before you dose the treatment (given that you're concerned) take out a bucket of tank water and leave it right by your tank with a net ready. (Try to keep it at a good temp somehow I guess). Then dose the meds very slowly over several hours if you need to and don't take your eyes off them. If anyone starts to really freak (they will get a little uncomfortable I'm sure but freaking out is different!!) take them out pronto.

I dosed with some wunder cure a while back. I stopped at a quarter of the dose the first time cause they showed some discomfort but then I came back and added a little more, slowly after they had adjusted and relaxed. Start by adding a few drops at a time, but premix with a bit of tank water and then pour it into a high flow area. Try not to pour directly onto any of the fish. I added small amount every 20 mins or so over several hours (assuming effects might not be immediate). I kept adding drops the next day and got fairly close to full recommended concentration (I didn't have any sensitive fish though).

The key is not to dump stuff in there and then act surprised if they don't cope. Go slow, watch carefully, be prepared to deal with any adverse reactions.