Bio Balls?

CatBrat

Hi,

I was wondering if I would be able to use lava rock as a cheap alternative to the plastic bio balls that you can buy in some shops? Can you think of any advantages/disadvantages of using lava rock in a filter?

Cheers, CatBrat.

Logan.

bio balls are a type of biological filtration substrate. Bio balls have a large surface area in which bacteria can grow. The bacteria is what helps to keep the tank water safe. The bio balls provide a larger area for the bacteria, hence providing better water conditions for your tank.

You get better flow through 'bio balls' than through the ceramic noodles but I don't think it really matters in a trickl;e filter, but is important in a cansiter filter. I agree with Ira, I use more ceremac noodles than anything else, but I do mix and match just because I can more than anything.

They are just a media for bacterria to grow on, hence the strange shapes, its an attempt to increase surface area. Siporex is the 'ULTIMATE' for surface area.

I was given about 5L of mixed bioballs and siporex the other week, am going to use them in a sump for my next freshwater project... I don't think there is any particular reason why they are shaped the way they are or are the colour they are (I have only ever seen blue and black). But I am sure there is a brochure somewhere explaining why they can be so expensive.

Bottom line is if you have a use for them then use whatever is cheaper.

Nico - Are plastic golf balls hollow? If so wouldn't yu be missing out on a LOT of surface area? A single bio-ball would have 100 times the surface area that a plastic golf ball?

What system are you using how long has it been running? For fresh or salt?

The golf balls are hollow, so sure it's not as much available space as bio balls, but they were a lot cheaper than the bio balls, and you can get them anywhere. But in saying that I found some cheap bio balls, so have included them in the mix.

The system itself, is pretty much home made job, freshwater leaves six tanks into a piping system which falls into a tank. First up in the catchment tank is the basket filled with cotton wall. This leaks into the second section filled with bio ball/golf ball. Under near that the third section filled with gavel and an air stone pumping out air to circuit the gavel and bio/golf balls. Four section is a course sponge, followed by the last section a normal sponge, before the water is returned back into the six tanks via a pump.

This is version two, and the only problem I have had (so far) was a bristlenose swimming into the pipe ending up in section one. She was only discovered after investigating the smell.

Should the pump fail the catchment tanks holds the access water (just), should that fail the hole things sits in a large container, so no water on the floor.