Laguna utility pump question.

jn

Bought one of these some time ago and was hoping to use it to make up a pond vacuum (basically we have a vacuum head and we've rigged up a pre-filter for the pump to ensure it doesn't get any solids or really dirty water.

The pump is designed to be used inline but it says in the booklet that it must be run submerged? Anyone ever run one without submerging it? It looks like a sealed unit so the only reason I can come up with for submerging it would be so it doesn't heat up?

If I really need to submerge it I can just sit it in a bin of water while I vacuum but if there's no good reason for it then it would be more convenient not too.

Any opinions? (it's a Laguna 4) We'd probably only be running it an hour at a time.

That sounds about right. I was suggesting that we run it sitting in a bin as a test - pumping water from another source and mark the water level in the bin to make 100% sure it's not drawing any from there. I mean I suppose the hose fitting could leak or come undone and the pump would then run dry...

but as we wouldn't be running it unattended (wow.. imagine of the pond could vacuum itself!) I don't think it would be too risky :D