ID Please

smidey

lol im confused I never said you would mix them up because I know you wouldn't (if thats what you were saying).

The latest lot of baenshi haven't seemed to colour up as I would expect I had a memory of seeing yours (Mikes) up in Auckland and they didn't look like that.. Are you still breeding those ones Mike?

I've seen Mike's Baensnchi as well and no doubt it is a beauty. Mike do you recall how it looked at 6-8 mths old as that is probably the age these new guys are?

Next point- I'm getting confused- what I've picked up so far-

Mike are you saying the fish at the top of thread is not a Baenschi but a Jacob?

The recent ( 3mths ago) Baenschi and Jacobs selling in retail were imported?

Someones opinion can turn into fact in a heartbeat?

We are all nice guys so it's OK to incorrectly label fish you are selling into the market, regardless of cellphone coverage.

At the end of the day it's academic because we get imported peacocks that are, at best OK, therefore no specific variants are named, you just hope you get a good looking runt.

The best way to ID a Peacock is to hunt through the 'net' and find the closest facsimile to your would-be hybrid and sigh in relief as "mystery solved"

The three times one of my chilumba females held to my Maisoni male instead of my lone maisoni female she was keeping company. I should have kept fry and sold them as Maisoni anyway? same for my Rubens with Maleri red.

Fair trading and consumer guarantees don't apply to auctions or private sales so....

Smidey- If I were you I wouldn't be apologising for upsetting anyone.

I would be pissed!-Having said that don't go on with this(ie: look now for a female jacob). This has potential of worsening the situation.

Take back the fish and get your money back or demand a definitive ID.

any breeder worth their salt shouldn't bat an eyelid

P.S-This is just an observation and not a swipe at anyone.

lol now im really really confused..

Mike said he had sold the fish to the shop in question and he had brought it as a Jacob so thats what it is...

The latest lot of jacobs and baenshi were off the wholesale list, and I presume imported (unless someone bred enough jacob's and baenshi to supply a wholesaler) And I was saying these could be different to the ones that Mike had that were brought in years ago.

Noone ever said anything about any fish being mislabelled and sold to shops? I know Mike and no he wouldn't breed or sell crap. Smidey had said the owner of the shop forgot what he brought them as and contacted Mike for clarrification when the cellphone cut out.

Also noone suggested breeding and selling hybrids at all, the closest thing was smidey buying a fish and matching it roughly upto a pic and suggesting breeding it to his baenshi females, although he did the right thing and asked for a second opioning and found out what his fish was.. I like you have had breedings where their were more than one male in the tank and every time ive fed the babies out as I couldn't gurantee the parentage of the babies..

We are all nice guys so it's OK to incorrectly label fish you are selling into the market, regardless of cellphone coverage.

Richard did not tell me what it was as he could not remeber at the time & was going to contact tropheus to find out which he did by cell phone when i went in to get some supplies. i made a decision on what it was based on info i had.

The best way to ID a Peacock is to hunt through the 'net' and find the closest facsimile to your would-be hybrid and sigh in relief as "mystery solved"

Smidey- If I were you I wouldn't be apologising for upsetting anyone.

I would be pissed!-Having said that don't go on with this(ie: look now for a female jacob). This has potential of worsening the situation.

Take back the fish and get your money back or demand a definitive ID.

any breeder worth their salt shouldn't bat an eyelid

i did think i had its id from the pics i had as a baenschi. theres no problem for me, i am happy with what ever it is & just want to get matching females for it if it is not a baenschi which tropheus has said. I am curious to see some adult pics of tropheous' jacobs to.

Nice to hear Ryan, and I Know what you mean regarding Mike, I've seen his set up and would trust him no worries.

The comments come as I got trios of both jacobs and Baenschi from the 'last lot'.

I presumed they were imports due to numbers.

Smidey-Thats why I ID'd your fish as A baenschi as well, I presumed as it was a similar age it might be from the same batch. The Baenschi I have ( the one you said looked exactly like yours) was sold as that and looks for all money like any shot of a juvi I've sourced on the net. So for that matter does the Jacob and the females. Only time will tell how diferent the Baenschi are from Mikes 4-5 yr old one, I would be happy if they were half as beautiful as his.

Hope you get it sorted mate. I'm going to get some new photos of both males tonight if I get time and post a few

Some of them could have come from different locations or different fish that colour differently..

It has happened recently with kadango's and lithobates, one lot of kadango's and litho's (although they had no listed variant) were a splitting image of one.. And the later lot seem to have a larger blaze and colour differently, if you were to get a male from the early lot and a female from the later lot although you wouldn't be producing hybrids because they are the same species its not a good practice..

The chances are, if they all came in without variants. Then they are all just the old school line. Years of breeding creates slight variances. Or better quality etc. Someone could of line bred litho's for example, for their thick blaze. That batch just happened to come through.

Frenchy :D

Sweet as :) I thought it was more likely from looking at pics around on cichlid forum and seeing the body colour and blaze matched up more with different locational varients that the fish originated from that varient.. Who knows I would just try and keep it as pure as I could :)

Would love to see the pics firenz haven't got any baenshi yet but will get some next year :) Its sooo frustrating having all these tanks empty!

Hi

As Ryan said!

The ones I sold to Richard are A.Jocobs (breed from parents that I purchased from brooklands as A.jocobs)

Have breed my A.B's (same name as the new rugby World Cup holders :D ) but have never sold any fry.

Thanks guys for the comments concerning A.B. Hope to breed lot more so I can get the strain out there in case something happens to mine.

Have also purchased the lastest A.B's but to my dissappointment they do not resemble my original A.B. (HOUSED IN SEPARATE TANKS)

Hi Mike.

At tis stage Ive got to agree with you. The latest AB that came in about 3 months ago are nowhere as good as the one that you have. Got to admit though that smidleys fish does look like an AB :roll: ! This raises the question though, have the fish been mixed as jacobs and AB's came in at the same time. A collegue of mine also has AB's that came in at the same time as mine but his look quite different already :-?