Barbs in cold water?

Kelsta

Hi

I've heard that you can keep Barbs in cold water, even though all the ones I've seen in stores are in tropical tanks.

Does anyone know if this is ture? Obviously, you wouldn't want to take them from a heated tank to an unheated one, but is there such a thing as Barbs who've been raised in cold water?

Confused, as usual... :-P

Thanks!

No it isn't true. Barbs can tolerate cooler temperatures but not cold. If you live in a modern, well insulated, house where the temperature doesn't go below 18C you can keep them in an unheated tank but that is not the same as saying they are cold water fish.

Thanks Caryl.

Perhaps we'll consider getting some Barbs once we have a heater then. We do have a fully insulated house and it gets rather warm in the tank - hovers between 17 and 22 degrees - but I'd rather not risk it in case we have a cold snap and no heating for them!

Cheers :o)

I have thrown rosy, golden and odessa barbs outside into plastic 6ft pools ($24.95 from the big red emporium) over summer for them to breed then brought them back inside once the weather cooled. Of course, Wgtn might not have as good summers as we do here :wink:

No, Wellington is HEAPS colder than Blenheim, even in summer (what's summer?) But your advice has been really helpful. It's good to know that you can mix Barbs with goldfish as long as we get a heater.

Once our beloved Goldies settle into their new big tank we'll look at doing that. :D

Caryl would cherry barbs be ok at 18-20?

Their 'profile' on various websites indicate they like it a bit warmer than some of the other barbs. I wouldn't want to stress them.

I think they would add a nice splash of colour with my wcmm and leopardfish (who are getting some borneo suckers for company hence the specified temperature range)