Small metal halide's- under 70w

HaNs

I know nothing about these at all but I would assume the wattage of the ballasts would be a maximum power type rating..

Ie a 150W one can do anything upto and including a 150W bulb, if a bulb or whatever doesn't need to draw current and use power it wont so it wont do any damage to it to run a smaller one...

lol could be wrong though but thats how im thinking about it.

Ira may know

If you run a 150w bulb off a 70w ballast the result is a burned out ballast

I have a stuffed up ballast here for a 150w, it only works for 5secs when its cold and makes a noise all the time. I may use some parts out of it for my 38L as its not worth getting it looked at and fixed

I know nothing about these at all but I would assume the wattage of the ballasts would be a maximum power type rating..

If you run a 150w bulb off a 70w ballast the result is a burned out ballast

Yeah, that's my understanding. The ballast anyway is just a transformer, converts the 240vac to, if I remember right, somewhere around 100volts that metal halides run off of. MHs are probably very rarely used with different wattage bulbs than their ballasts because they have different sockets.

I'd imagine there's a bit of leeway, you might be able to run a pair of 150 watters off a 250w ballast. But, I don't know if they'd start reliably.

I've run three 10 watt fluoro tubes off a 40 watt ballast before. But they didn't all start consistently. Most of the time you'd only get two of them starting.

Like most things in life, it is all about balance. Too much light can throw the balance as much as not enough. You can get 6500K energy savers that don't use much power or give out as much heat. Heat is wasted energy and therefore money when providing lighting. You want heat on the bottom of the tank, not the top. I bought a 6500K bulb from the wharehouse which was 23 watts but equivalent to 110 watts incandescent and it was only a few bucks.

Like most things in life, it is all about balance. Too much light can throw the balance as much as not enough. You can get 6500K energy savers that don't use much power or give out as much heat. Heat is wasted energy and therefore money when providing lighting. You want heat on the bottom of the tank, not the top. I bought a 6500K bulb from the wharehouse which was 23 watts but equivalent to 110 watts incandescent and it was only a few bucks.

Iv struggled to find a 6500k energy saver here in Taupo

May go have another search today

Loads of cars have 35w metal halides in their headlights, I know you can get up to 8000K for them. Perhaps that's a starting point for you to look at? Would need a grunty 12v supply for the ballast, but it gets you hot re strike which is hard to find on a mains powered ballast.

Loads of cars have 35w metal halides in their headlights, I know you can get up to 8000K for them. Perhaps that's a starting point for you to look at? Would need a grunty 12v supply for the ballast, but it gets you hot re strike which is hard to find on a mains powered ballast.

Computer power supply would work

Im just going to use power saver lights.

Ill do full build pics on my site