garden fittings??????????

bjocque

has anybody used/have comments regarding the use of snap-lock garden hose fittings for aquarium plumbing???? i'm meaning similar to the nylex range or the neta brand brass fittings, they do some good looking manifolds(?) where you can split 1 tap off into 3 hose runs each with an adjustable flow valve on it..........

generally 20mm threads but i think they use a 12mm hose (inside diametre)

was mainly wondering bout pressures, leaks etc - i though it was a great idea the other night when it came to me but cos of the risk of leaks i am thing more towards the hansen range of fittings

The corrosion of brass is called dezincification because it leaches the zinc from the brass, not the copper. Local authorities keep the water slightly alkaline to avoid the corrosion of copper and brass so brass would not be a problem. I would use approved plumbing fittings as they are designed not to leak as they are often inside the wall. The other fittings are usually exposed and in the garden so it does't matter if they leak.

i work for an engineering supplies company and our hose that is similar to

nylex hose is rated to 200psi.

im not a big fan of nylex type fittings have a look around and see how many garden hoses and fittings leak all the time.

we also sell hansen fittings and they are good.

perhaps i could arrange a discount for FNZAS members.