MAF CORAL/FISH LIST

reef

I have had many pms lately re the fish/coral list.

The process to get new fish added to the list is a very onerous process.

To get a fish approved it first has to be approved by ERMA and then by MAF, You could be looking at 2-5 years as MAF and ERMA have informed me that it is not a priority for them.

Any new species not on this revised list would require a risk assessment under the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act, 1996 which is undertaken by the Environmental Risk Management Authority

Once approved by ERMA, MAF would then need to conduct a risk assessment under the Biosecurity Act to also ensure that any pathogens potentially carried by the new species are adequately managed on importation

The current list we have was done by me with the help of fnzas and a few importers based on what came in over the last few years.

Hopes it answers some questions.

• 2 weeks later...
To get a fish approved it first has to be approved by ERMA and then by MAF, You could be looking at 2-5 years as MAF and ERMA have informed me that it is not a priority for them.

a friend has just had an application approved for palms to be put on the list, took nine months from start to finish

paperwork and referencing was the longest part of the process