questions

seftonearl

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it looks like more ceramic in the filter Zev . Id like a Guppy or three, thanks, Id even pay you if they were good looking Male's, it seams looking over the forum that fantastic ones are hard to find? Ive got a while to go before fish, may be 3 weeks at least. I have read that cat fish prefer sand substrate? killies as well? so I'm having second thoughts about the gravel that I spent half a day collecting and washing.

What do you think? do I go instead for swimming poll sand??.

Jn, I think you are right its a male GBA I like, from that great page you posted me it looks as if it leaves the plants alone, look great and wont get to big. I think Ive seen them on Trade me.

Alanmin , I have a few books from the library but cant find the SAE you have, its scientific name may be a help, where do you buy them from?. Its sure a learning curve, and great fun .Thanks all , for your time.

Hi again, Today it all turned to custard.

First I put the substrate in that I had prepared and guess what, I need about as much again, it was only a inch thick.

I got the ammonia absorbing substate out of the filter OK and got it back together. I then found that it would not pump. I put a hose into the outlet to get rid of air in the system, It didn't pump, I could hear the motor running but no go. Then Bang, the lid flew off, lots of water on the BIA's new carpet and Ive busted the outlet pipe at the loop.

It looks as if two if the clips have sheared at the base where it attaches and Ill have work out how and if it can be clamped somehow without them???.

Ill also have to establish why it wont pump???.

All I can say is I didn't swear, honest.

Well I'm hanging in there, thanks for the encouragement Alanmin.

I got another load of gravel in the tank, still question the amount, still can add at any time I guess.

I placed the driftwood, it still colours the water a bit, can always take it out.

Went and picked up $50 of plants. A great collection brought for me from a warehouse in Auckland. The plants are just floating at present, I have a airline moving the water around, I will get a air-stone tomorrow. I also intend to get some plant food to add to the tank. PLEASE WHAT IS THE BEST?.

I got the filter going over the weekend. The shaft with its two rubber caps is not standard, so you have to bang it to get the impeller going. I can get a replacement. I did not have any leaks while it was running, but will get a G clamp to replace the 3 missing clips, now shared off at the base. Maybe a bolt and two washers is neater ? if I can get the washers to hook on tightly?.

I spent the morning looking at lights, from trade shops to lighting direct. The best I came up with was a two tube 30 watt daylight 6,500 k from my LFS for around $89. Id like a bit more light but will see how we go. ANY THOUGHTS ON LIGHTS?. Cheers.

Depending on the depth of water and the type of plant you may be ok with 2 x 3ft tubes (60watts) as you can leave them on longer, or 2x4ft tubes (80watts). You can use daylight (6500k) or grolux in the front and soft white in the back and the growlux will enhance the colours of the fish (particularly red and blue). I use that combination successfully on some tanks to grow plants.

The colour that leaches out of the driftwood probably won't do much harm, it is only worth taking out if you don't like tea coloured water!

Airstones are for human aesthetic purposes only, and don't do much for the fish either way, but if you like the bubbly effect, by all means put one in the tank.

Plant food is a tricky one, some people have their favourites that they swear by, others don't bother and leave it to the fish poop to fertilize their plants. It would possibly depend on what particular plants you have, and what their lighting/fertilizer requirements are. Generally the more light demanding plants - especially the red leafed ones, may require some ferts to keep them happy.

Be careful with the G clamp on the filter, brittle plastic may not take to the uneven pressure too well. Maybe an elastic tiedown thingy (the ones you use to hold your bike onto a car rack) may be better, or perhaps a nylon ratchet tie down. Someone else may have a better idea.

Thanks again, Zev Ive only got the airline in to move the water until I get the Fluvial 403 going again. I was told plants don't like stagnant water?. I was sort of wanting to get the plants established before I get the fish in a few weeks. I haven't got any ordered at present so thought I better add the plant food, is this not necessary?.

Well I just went ahead and did it, added plant food with extra minerals and also put in a echo bulb a $7 spiral which has a kelvin of 6,500 and puts out a 120 watt light for 25watts.It looks cool and will stay on for 10hrs a day until my fluorescent tube light comes next week. I will buy one tube for fish and plant growth but of course the two tubes are only 60watts all up.

Good news at last,I installed the spare parts in the impeller and after a bit of a struggle getting the air out of the tubes the filter is up and running.

I also got the new light set, it has purple tubes 18,000 k which I suppose is a good thing. Only 40 watts but it seams brighter than the 120watt light I was using. The plants are planted they look OK.

Trying to get some fish next week, any ideas, I thought 2 Golden Bristle nose. Will they be OK in the new tank? how long do I need to wait, do I need to make any water tests beforehand?/Thanks.

18000k sounds odd for freshwater. Is that K as in degrees Kelvin? They could be Saltwater tubes then.

Don't forget you were going to get some guppys off me, there are some with red tails sizing up quite nicely. Probably best to cycle with these, rather than buying some GBAs first off.

Let me know when you want them, and I will drop them off. Are the rooms in Eastbourne St?

Hi, The box says the lights are good for freshwater and marine tanks,

I said purple but maybe blueish. Anyway I found the case was damaged in transit so its being replaced. Any other light with the 30 watt tubes was going to cost over $300 way to much for my budget.

Zev, Thanks for the offer of the guppies, It might be best to let the filter work away for a week or so first. The drop in day I attend is on Thursdays with around 20 people. The BIA is in Willowpark Rd on the left , its called Headway House, there are signs on the fence. .You can phone me at 8787284. if you like, Bill.

Still ticking along, put the new lights in place, The filter is operating great. There is a high pitched sound from it , quite, compared to a airline pump, but wounder if anyone else's does that and if anything can be done to fix it?. Other people thought it was a power hum from the electric supply.

Please tell me if I need to do any water tests before the Guppies can be put in the tank?. Thanks.

Hi Zev,

I will be there around 9.30am till about 3pm.Looking forward to meeting you. I Hope the system is running OK, if there had been a problem I guess I would have had a ring. Turn left down Willowpark rd coming from Havelock North. The house is on the right about two blocks from the end , it has a new tin fence with a sign on it. I'm not sure of the number but it is in the 600s cheers.

Zev arrived with six Guppies, great to meet her. The fish have settled in and were looking great at 3.30m when I left. I also have nine snails which I have not seen before, they must have come in on the plants.

Now have 4 weeks to wait till I can add the Killifish.

Thanks Zev, very nice of you to help.

No problems, Bill.

I left some Flake food in the mail box this morning.

It might be a good idea to hide it after they have been fed - you know that fish will always act as if they are starving when people look at the tank, even if they have just been fed - just in case someone walking past decides they look hungry!

The fish are doing well, they have made the tank a home and are exploring every corner of it.

Alas when I stuck my head in the door this morning there was a bucket on the floor, a wet carpet, and a steady drip, drip, drip, from the right hand front about 10 centimeters from the bottom. I was told it had only just started.

What to do? panic.

I thought I would have to get all the water, and fish out in order to effect a repair from the inside. However our chairman went away and returned with some clear sticky stuff which he put on the join outside the tank.

The stuff? was manufactured to stop leaks in water pumps. Any way it didn't do much at all, nor did the Bluetak I put in the area on the inside of the tank, darn. Anyway as it didn't work I wiped it off with a paper towel, guess what, the leak stopped. It must have set a bit and then got pushed into the seam and hey presto. An hour later we also put a layer of Aquarium sealer on the outside so we haven't affected the fish and all is dry, no leak PHEW. Any comment welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

Well its been a fortnight since my last post, disappointed that there were no comments on my leak.

Anyway, so far so good, its been as dry as a bone outside the tank, thank whoever.

The fish have grown and coloured up some more, they seem very happy so I'm just about to order the 20 killies from aquanut.

The plants are good some have been chewed on, snails have kept algae at bay. so cheers while I get on with ordering the new additions.

Glad to hear the Guppys are enjoying themselves!

20 killies - I'm rather jealous, my tanks that I set up for Killies have been taken over by Guppies!!! Well, I have one spare, but it looks like my Blue Rams are gearing up for some naughty business, they have been meticulosity cleaning a rock and chasing everything away that gets near, including snails...

Nice one Zev, more rams on the way.

One of the problems I have found is that the Temp has increased in the house with the summer kicking off. I noticed that as the house isn't opened up every day I may have to find a way to cool the tank. Have you or anyone else any tips for doing that?> Cheers.

Hi Alan, I'm sorry I just noticed that the reading was at the top end of the green, I will have to monitor it for a while, doesn't affect the guppies but the killifish like it cooler I think. One idea was to keep most of the curtains in the room closed.

Just a note, I have decided to leave getting the killifish in till the new year when staff are on hand each day , it seams silly to get new fish in for 3 weeks and we then close down for the Christmas break. I will make sure the guppies get feed cheers.