What else to feed fry?

Dixon1990

probably not.

A lot of fry need the movement of live food to attract them to eat it. I guess it comes down to an instinct thing. And besides I don't think they can make a prepared food that is as nutritional, rich and efficient as live foods.

There are plenty of foods to try for the cichlid fry as they tend to be a bigger fry straight from hatching. baby brine shrimp, micro worms, daphnia are all easy to culture.

As for the smaller fry like tetras and danios you can't beat a good infusoria culture to get your fry growing like mad.

If you come along to a couple of totally tanked meetings i might share my TOP SECRET-experimental-(still-in-the-testing-stages) small fry food which is super easy to use :wink::wink:

Microworms

Baby Brine Shrimp

Decapsulated Brine Shrimp (google it, quite groovy)

Also you can buy powdered fry food, not always stocked though.

There is liquid fry food for the smaller guys.

Greenwater for the even smaller guys!! (Siamese Fighters etc).

I'm too lazy too do the baby brine shrimp (although this is best), so I use a combination of microworms and crushed flake. I intentially overfeed, then use an air hose to syphon off the debris regularly (assuming fry are big enough to see). Depending on the species you can vary how regular that is. I've got baby convicts graciously given to me by a local pet store, that get cleaned 2-3 times a week and just got their stripes this week yey :) Poor buggers are right next to the jag tank ehehe aww going off topic. Naughty.

Feed small amounts as often as possible, and I recommend using snails to help clean up the excess, to prevent dead snails I normally add a small bit of lettuce now and then as well. I can't feed very often, hence why I overfeed then clean up later. Gives them something to snack on during the day.

I found that mine liked algae tabs and courgette but thought flake was the best thing ever, little gbas always got all excited when flake went in, well mine did, they might just be fruitcakes.

I use a slice of courgette weighted down, can stay in there for 1-2 days and means they have continous food. Normally $1.50ish for a pack of 3, at your local supermarket, which should last a while.