3' Tank no centre brace??

David R

I've got an old 3'x15x15" tank, made from 6mm glass. When I bought it (second hand) it didn't have a brace in the center and the people I got it from had been using it like that for some time. I added one in, better safe than sorry etc. The tank hasn't been used for a while, and the brace got broken when we moved house. I need to set the tank up again, so I'm wondering if its safe to use with no center brace?? The end braces are 10cm long, leaving a gap of 70cm in between.

Should I risk it, or go get a piece of glass for a new brace?

Guest Anonymous

it is funny how tank are made now, maybe glass is weaker than it used to be 6-10years ago

as back then had 210x60x45h tanks out of 6mm glass with only end braces

also had 180x50x50 tanks made of 6mm glass, only problem was occationaly if not carful a bottom got broken

but then we also did things like one layer of poly and then 5x5cm squares spaced out on top top aloow for uneven tables, so the block could sink into the sheet where required

then all of a suddern about 6 years ago everyone seem to decide, everything had to be made out of 10mm glass.

or they added braces along the fronts and backs the tanks at the top, which just get in the way if you want to devide a tank

guess all things change and people just get to worried about tanks breaking or somthing

Shodox

maybe water is heavier... sorry but no. Glass is glass and the method of manufacture changed about 35 years ago but other than that no.

For years people have got away with useing thinner glass more out of luck.

The stress that the glass is under is extreame and now days people are more aware of this and want a bigger safty margin built in. The largest tanks I have ever built (and I have built thousands) is 3 fters because Im not confortable building larger tanks with out useing saftey glass as I know what the mess will be like if the tank gives out.

Inh the glass industry, the use of saftey glass has become a lot wider in the last 10 years.

10 years ago, you didnt need saftey glass in showers or 1 panel doors but how many people would feel as safe now days with out saftey glass in those areas. Yes I know that there are still a lot of homes that dont have saftey glass but to be honest, they are simply time bombs waiting to badly hurt someone!

In answer to the question, Yes, pay the money (probably about $10) and put 2 braces on. It may not need it but for $10 plus the adhesive you will have a stronger tank.

I didnt notice if your in Auckland or not but hell, get in touch with me and I will give them to you if you come out and pick them up.

With no brace the tank has a safety factor of 2.85 which is better than many tanks in use. With bracing (a strip full length along the front and back and a centre front to back brace) the safety factor rises to 3.60

It should be fine without the brace but will definitely be ok with bracing.

210x60x45h tanks out of 6mm glass with only end braces

180x50x50 tanks made of 6mm glass,

2100x600x450 tank = 2.05 safety margin

1800x500x500 tank = 1.49 safety margin

Either of these tank would work but will be much more sensitive to breakage if not installed on near-perfect surfaces.

Made out of 10mm the safety factor rises to 5.69 & 4.15 respectively. Overkill but guaranteed to never break under normal conditions.

that calculation is excellent - the one thing I really want with around 350L of water sitting nearby a lot of electrical equipment is peace of mind!!

I've seen some tanks in some pretty dodgey locations (on weak stands, no poly, etc) and have been amazed at the strength of glass and silicon.

If you are in the position of being able to increase the safety factor of your tank by adding a little bit of bracing you should go for it!

If you are in the position of being able to increase the safety factor of your tank by adding a little bit of bracing you should go for it!

Thats what I decided, always over-engineer!

Barrie it's not quite so urgent now, but I might take you up on the offer of the glass soon as I may be turning the tank into a sump for my 6' tank thats in the pipeline.

Thanks