tHEcONCH's Red Sea Max

tHEcONCH

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No photos I'm afraid (my camera sucks in poor light), but I spent half and hour last night watching the Mandarins dancing by moonlight - they would do a kind of Waltz around each other in circles on the coral, then lock together and levitate motionless to the surface. As soon as they broke the surface, they would separate and dive back down, then do it again. Ah... lovebirds :lol:

Guest Anonymous
No photos I'm afraid (my camera sucks in poor light), but I spent half and hour last night watching the Mandarins dancing by moonlight - they would do a kind of Waltz around each other in circles on the coral, then lock together and levitate motionless to the surface. As soon as they broke the surface, they would separate and dive back down, then do it again. Ah... lovebirds :lol:

Did they release their eggs? You might find it interesting to collect some of them. Best method of incubation until hatching is in stagnant tank water for approx 24hrs (if memory serves me right).

Rotifers is (maybe) a first good food. This is something that is being very hotly debated at the moment.

Did they release their eggs? You might find it interesting to collect some of them. Best method of incubation until hatching is in stagnant tank water for approx 24hrs (if memory serves me right).

Rotifers is (maybe) a first good food. This is something that is being very hotly debated at the moment.

I didn't notice any, but I'll keep an eye out if they do it again - do they just release them into the current?

Guest Anonymous
I didn't notice any, but I'll keep an eye out if they do it again - do they just release them into the current?

When they are doing the mating dance they will do a series of rushes towards the surface and then darting away (Similar to damsels, tangs etc). On the final approach they will release the eggs and sperm into the water that will float on the surface. The 2 fish will then most likely separate and head off to the rock-work to sleep.

They should like like tiny white bubbles, in a clump if they are a good spawn on the surface. It's best to turn the pumps off while they are dancing so you can see the eggs.

Something to look out for next time eh :) They should spawn roughly every 3-7 days (again from memory I'd have to look it up to be sure)

Guest Anonymous
Wow! :o I hadn't actually expected anything this soon - I just assumed they were 'courting'. Maybe I'd better get some Rotifiers from NIWA too.

Yea. You should expect to wait a while before (if) you get some off them. They should have to clear it through a biosecurity authority first. If you can find someone in the hobby with some it's a much easier (and cheaper) method of obtaining them. You will also need Phytoplankton to feed the rotifers. Same deal as Rotifers through NIWA :)

I think I have a metaphysical problem - just like Dr Who - I just don't have enough time and space. I've recently taken down tanks etc that I used to breed relatively straight forward freshwater fish (Discus, Rams, Whiptails etc), so I think raising Mandarin fry might be beyond me at this point. Do you know of anyone who is actually geared up for this sort of thing? I'd be interested to know what resources you actually need available to make this a realistic proposition (and if it will all fit in my fishroom).

Guest Anonymous
I think I have a metaphysical problem - just like Dr Who - I just don't have enough time and space. I've recently taken down tanks etc that I used to breed relatively straight forward freshwater fish (Discus, Rams, Whiptails etc), so I think raising Mandarin fry might be beyond me at this point. Do you know of anyone who is actually geared up for this sort of thing? I'd be interested to know what resources you actually need available to make this a realistic proposition (and if it will all fit in my fishroom).

Geared up to attempt (or are attempting) Mandarin breeding? In NZL, nobody. I know of a handful of people (like 4) worldwide who are actively trying to breed them.

Personally, I have started setting up multiple 56L (700Lx300x250) tanks for marine broodstock and I have a stack of 30L (300x300x300) tanks for fry/larvae. Each of my 56L tanks runs its own skimmer, single T5, heater and small powerhead. These are on shelving units in my garage (IA so it's warm)

I am hoping to have B&W Clowns, Bangaii and 1 other species (maybe goby).

As for mandarins. I will be using the 30L fry tanks to try and raise them once I am able to find me a male mandarin in Wellington. The mandarins will be living in my 520L tank.

Guest Anonymous

Ahh. I also culture Rotifers, and 4 different strains of Phytoplankton. I am in the process of setting up Pod cultures for different species and Zooplankton.

So, I'm beginning to think that money I could put into upgrading the RSM might be better spent on a whole new bigger set-up. I've got limited room at home, so its likely that I won't go much bigger than 4' / 1.2metre (I've actually already got a 1 metre Eheim converted to take an MC600 sitting in the garage, along with the other half of the rockwork that ended up in my RSM). Although I'd love to build a huge tank the reality is that I'm not in a position to right now, so what is the 'usual' set-up around a 3-4' tank? A couple of Halides backed up with a couple of t5's, MC(E)500/600 skimmer? What else should I include in my costing?

Couple of nanostreams or similar powerheads?

Return pump? Unless u were going run without a sump? In which case I'd make you think twice. I wish I had made a sump with my 350

I'll plumb a sump - I need to grow lots of pods and things now that my Mandarins are 'doin' the wild thang' :wink:

Drifty's overflow setup looks like one to copy, I reckon. I'd just put some strainers on the intake ends

Dimensions wise if I was you I'd go the 4 foot size(1220mm) but if you can fit it in make your depth 600 or more. Mines 1220Long x550Deep x600High from memory. If I could have I would have gone 600Deep. Next time.

Other equipment you may want to consider (IMO) is:

Circulation pumps

Calcium reactor

Now if you had the dosh consider investing in a profilux controller.

Some reasons being:

1. Temperature indication & control

2. Lighting control (including dimming of T5s)

3. Circulation pump flow control (including variable speed)

4. pH indication and control

5. Water top-up control

6. Snazzy storm functions

7. Control via internet and WLan

8. Its an awesome toy

Since you will more than likely have a sump look at the deltec TS1250 as an option for the skimmer.

Lighting, yup, 2 x 150Watters and 2 x 54watters. You could probably fit another 150 in as well but it starts to get tight.

4 feet can actually be quite big if there is good depth.

While in marine circles 4 feet is actually regarded as small, I remember Nick Sparks old 4 footer which was a lot deeper and wider than normal, surprising how big it looked, plus how much he could keep in it.

Light wise, my 4 footer has 2 metal halides over it, and nothing else. Ample light. But a few actinic tubes would probably make it look nicer.

Well, I have Mandarin eggs. They did their little dance again last night and released a lot of very small eggs... then they both went back to the rockwork for a cigarette.

I'd be keen to be a copy cat! Hope it goes well....

Well, I've built one, but I can't say that I'm overly enthusiastic about the intake side of things, so I've decided to abandon gravity / water weight power and just use a double peristaltic pump to drive the water in both directions - safe, simple, reliable (expensive).

I've checked - it is the longest in terms of replies (easily surpassing chimera's measily 768), but reef's reef seems to have the most views

hahaa, dunno where you got a "768" from, you're clearly looking at the wrong thread I know it was alot more than that so I checked, if you really must know it has just over 44,000 views halfway down the page "Sump room, new tank etc" here:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/35-vf5 ... start=1700

a little before your time it seems conch :wink:

ah, views not replies, but certainly out of context :roll: