tHEcONCH's Red Sea Max

tHEcONCH

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zaita, from what I've read Conch also feeds very heavily, which will probably help his pod population.

Re-post your feeding details again?

3-4 cubes of brineshrimp, a nip of Reef Solutions, a nip of Reef Plus, plus a half teaspoon of Reefroids 2-3 times per week. Sometimes I add pureed (sp?) shrimp / prawns / muscle or a nip of Koralfluid. Last night everyone got pureed fresh muscle for a treat. Don't try this at home, kids - it takes a while for the biofilter to adapt - and I do a lot of water changes too. I really should get a real skimmer. :D

I'd be keen to see photos of your Pod breeding tank?

Ok - be prepared for AAAAAMaZEmeNt! Here is my random critters tank! You'll note the tasteful garage decor and loving attention to detail in the placement of the rubble pile. Rather than the usual bright colours thing I've gone for the 'rustic / slimey look with this one.

RSM160.jpg

RSM161.jpg

RSM162.jpg

OK, I've decided to reveal my secret Pod production facility that keeps all my fish happy, even though I never feed them. I know the following image may be shocking for some, so please sit down and make sure you are ready. Its not pretty.

RSM163.jpg

This is the back wall of my RSM, which you can't see from the front. Just remember that although it flies in the face of conventional marine tank 'cleaner is better' wisdom, it does actually seem to be highly beneficial. Yes, go that hairy algae!

Yep - I'm just working on the overflow / plumbing. John has been kind enough to lend me one of the unsold units so that I can fiddle about without splashing water everywhere this weekend - I'll probably build a couple of the successful design in case someone wants to copy it.

Yep - I'm just working on the overflow / plumbing. John has been kind enough to lend me one of the unsold units so that I can fiddle about without splashing water everywhere this weekend - I'll probably build a couple of the successful design in case someone wants to copy it.

I'd be keen to be a copy cat! Hope it goes well....

Hmmm...... I think I know what's coming.

1. Buy Red Sea Max.

2. Alter hood so better cooling fan can be fitted.

3. Tire of fiddling with skimmer, retrofit Deltec skimmer.

4. Alter stand and install custom sump and plumbing.

5. Alter hood again so MH lamp can be installed.

6. Now the system is quite good, enlarge stand so larger tank can be installed to replace the now somewhat small one.

Job done! :D

1. Buy Red Sea Max.

6. Now the system is quite good, enlarge stand so larger tank can be installed to replace the now somewhat small one.

Yes..... I take your point, which as always, was well made!

However in all seriousness I think the RSM is a great starter tank and has some really good points. I do believe it does fulfill the function it intended to which is to allow people to spend more time focusing on the livestock and water initially than deciding on the somewhat bewildering equipment (and combinations thereof) options available. Sure it has the drawbacks associated with a smaller tank as well as other specific issues discussed above. I would say though that I don't regret my purchase of a RSM and am now planing a 'bigger tank' or 'next tank', which would probably not have happened if this option hadn't been available. Please don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it's an easy way out of learning or doing research - but it does make the learning curve a little more gentle (even if not by much!!).

However in all seriousness I think the RSM is a great starter tank and has some really good points.

Absolutely.

My previous post was purely jest, although i do think we will see it being fullfilled more and more as time goes along. :D

But i've been on this forum for a few years now and seen all the anguish people go through trying to set up a tank, it's great to see a ready to go system for sale at last, that looks good also.

1. Buy Red Sea Max.

:lol:

I've actually come to the conclusion that I've taken the max about as far as I can. Everything from this point will be built/purchased with eventual transfer to another (bigger) tank in mind. I'm not going to bother with MH lighting etc., but building the sump will be a good learning exercise in itself, so other than that, I'm pretty much done. Time to just sit back and enjoy for a while, I think.