Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

couple of new additions, a white bubble coral and octospawn coral

IMG_2640.jpg

and a full tank shot

IMG_2639.jpg

and a photo of blenny waiting on his 'rock' for dinner

IMG_2653.jpg

as you can see m rocks are a bit brown most likely due to not enough flow and too many nutrients. The xenia, and hammer and hairy mushrooms from cookie extreme have grown well and the hairy mushroom is now 4 mushrooms. Got the metal halide cables up today (well my partner did, isn't he good to me :) ), so will finish getting them up this week.

• 7 months later...
Hi there

I'm looking to transport a juwel vision 450 tank, heres a link:

http://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/vision.htm

great thanks guys that has reassured me! :). Tank is going to be my new reef tank so very excited!

:bounce: :bounce:

Sounds like you will be adding to your tank build!!!

First question:

With the new tank and stand, will you be having a sump?

Second question:

If yes, will you modifythe stand to fit a bigger sump? Just thinking of your current sump and the size of it.

Yip going to replace the rio with the vision 450. I've been doing a bit of reading (or at least my technically minded partner has been) and these quite a few juwel tank mods on the UK forums. The wish list of things to do are

Remove the plastic braces and replace with clear perspex bracing to prevent shadows from the braces

Make a much larger overflow and overflow backup

Remove the filter box

Make a much larger sump/refugium. At the moment we're thinking of removing one of the upright supports in the cabinet and instead bracing with 2"x4" timber and having a larger sump area.

Reduce the amount of live rock and instead go for a more island style affect

Its probably going to be a longish term project but still exciting :)

Great looking tank!! I will be in Chrischurch on Sunday....I live in Blenheim...no salties here....would love to be able to view your tanks and get some advise and ideas....where do you all get your livestock?? theCoNCH has told me to go and see John at Organism....I wanted to bring home some frags.... :lol: :lol: I want to start adding coral to my fish only tank, but at the moment it is covered with brownie red film over the surfaces of everythink....I think it is due to not the correct light. Soon I will be upgrading the lights and hopefully the brown stuff will go away. What do you guys think??

Sally also have a look at bubble and squeak on Stanmore Rd they are now stocking corals and fish as well. Those tank pics are a bit old now, at least the rocks aren't brown now :). I would invite you to see my tank but im moving tanks on the weekend so won't be setup. The cyano just seems to be a phase (albeit a very long one) that you will got through, i had bad cyano issues which have now disappeared but it does take a lot of patience :)

Thanks for that. Its funny how one tank will have it and the other is completely free of it....the only difference is the lighting, and the pressence of coral. I also think that the water flow need to be improved. I might do it tomorrow....remove all the rock and give it all a good scrub, and don't put it all back so there is more space fro swimming and rearrange the power heads so the water moves around the rocks more. What are the egg crate things you talk about, I have used upsidedown water lilliie pots, my rock is just placed in, its not tied down to anything.

Mulford Plastics

Costs about $30 now, they have added admin costs of about $20.00 :oops:

I used bar mesh stools. Cost around $0.50 each. In my other tank i only had 5 points touching the ground.

I found them better than the egg crate.

DSC00019.jpg

Size was 1200 x 950 x 800, you can just make on of them out on the back left. All covered in algae.

so the crate goes under the rock to keep them just off the bottom?? To stack the rock up, are they just placed the rock together or have you glued them? I ahve found in the reef tank that the fish actually burrow in the sand so the under rock is exposed. My brown and white fish, two white strips,??? name??? :oops: love making caves, they work all day carrying sand out of their holes in there mouths, and then dump it over everything else!!

so the crate goes under the rock to keep them just off the bottom?? To stack the rock up, are they just placed the rock together or have you glued them? I ahve found in the reef tank that the fish actually burrow in the sand so the under rock is exposed. My brown and white fish, two white strips,??? name??? :oops: love making caves, they work all day carrying sand out of their holes in there mouths, and then dump it over everything else!!

The idea or the eggcrate or bar mesh stools is to lift the rock of the bottom. The less points that touch the ground the better. It is also a good way to make it look like you have more rock than is there.

If you place the eggcrate or bar mesh stools first then add sand you will be safe from burrowing fish.

I have always glued my rocks together, well at least the bottom 2/3. Most use selleys aqua knead-it, mitre10 or placemakers stock it.