angelfish & breeding

kiwinana1956

I have a very pretty pair of marble angelfish. They have now successfully spawned 2 batches of eggs.

The first time I panicked and removed the parents, not realising you need methylene blue, and an airstone, the eggs got a fungi on and all died.

The second time I left the parents in there, they got to the blowing and fanning stage of the eggs and sadly next day they ate them all.

I am wanting to breed angelfish so what am I doing wrong?, I did inadvertently turn the tank light off overnight so wondering if that was why they ate the eggs.

BTW what colour are the fertilised eggs meant to be, as on day 2 they were a greyishy brown colour. Yes they are male and female. :(

When I was breeding angels I used to provide a 100mm square bit of slate with hooks so it was hanging near the top of the tank. When laid remove eggs and place in a seperate tank with an airstone bubbling close to but not on the eggs. Meth blue is not compulsory -- it stops any fungus from infertile eggs spreading to fertile ones.

The infertile eggs go white and also pick up more meth blue if you are using it. The fish clean the eggs and fry and look like they are eating them (and often do ). If you are serious aboutbreeding them you should remove them, then they can't get eaten. Also make sure you have a market and plenty of grow out tanks as they are very productive once they decide to stop eating eggs. The biggest spawning I had was one of the first and was 1226 raised and sold. They can lay every 10 to 14 days for 18 months.

• 3 weeks later...