Q filter question.

Nicolette

I am just about to empty my breeding/quarantine tank and intend to hang a filter in the main tank to keep it full of bacteria. My query is this. Does the small filter need to actually be pumping water to stay cycled?

and my other question is If it doesnt need to be going to stay bacterially full then can I just leave the sponge in the tank instead of the whole unit? (I have both a single sponge filter and a small mini internal filter)

Just filling up on info here so any advice would be great.

You'd need to keep the filter in operation so that the bacteria colonies get oxygen etc. Same would apply for a interna; or sponge filter.

If you aren't going to have any fish in the Q tank (1-2 to keep it ticking over) you'd need to drop in a bit of food to maintain the bacteria.

Some people keep a Q tank empty and have a small filter running in their main tank for use when req...

I keep my quarantine tank set up all the time, with a few male guppys in there to keep it ticking over.

That way if I see something neat at the pet shop I can buy it knowing I have a healthy cycled tank all set up to put it in. If it's a guppy eater I can fish the guppys out first, otherwise they can stay in there. Bit like the canary in the coal mine. :-? If the newcomers AND the guppys are still healthy after 2 weeks, then all is well.

If you are emptying the tank then you want to leave them running in another tank so they are ready to go again when needed. Having an extra small filter running in the back corner of a big tank cant hurt.

Cheers

Ian

I always thought a quarantine tank is to quarantine fish to see if they are sick or not. Doesn't it defeat the purpose to have the filter of said quarantine tank spouting the quarantined bacteria into your main tank? :o

Bit like quarantining viruses on your computer as they come in and while you don't use the computer let them go play in your computer? :roll:

True... but you leave the fish in the Q tank for a couple of weeks then transfer them to your main tank. If they were still carrying something un-noticed then you have moved it to your main tank anyway. If they aren't carrying anything.. then the Q tank and it's filter is still 'clean'.

If you are unfortunate enough to bring home a fish with some nasty pox, then it's isolated in the Q tank. In that case break out the bleach before you move the filter back to your main tank to cycle it again.

There are 2 things you are trying to achieve here. First is to isolate your existing fish from a potential outbreak. But 2nd you need to provide a good enviroment to your new fish who are probably stressed and in poor condition after being flown around the country/world. Dumping them into a new or poorly cycled tank isn't going to help them at all.

Thats why I keep my Q tank running and some crash test guppys in there, give the new fish the best possible chance while protecting my main tanks and fish.

Cheers

Ian