Moving house-advise please

maran

Hello all,

I am moving houses (3 blocks down the road) this weekend. I got a tank measuring 100cm by 30 cm base, with UGF and gravel. Planted tank.

I was hoping to move the tank with gravel in place+1inch of water to keep the bristlenoses alive as they are difficult to catch.

-Is it reasonable

-what precautions should i take

-has others done it this way before.

the glass is 6mm wide.

yhanks.

yes this is how i move my tank when i move house, and its bigger than yours. all i do is get a strong wide piece of wood to transport the tank on, a bit longer than the tank, but not too much longer. i then just slide tank wood and all into my van, the wood makes the tank much easier to manage.

you must be very careful when shifting a tank like this though, even just with substrate and an inch of water it will be heavy and easy to knock/break.

I think it would be better to empty the tank. If the undergravel filter has been set up a while it will be pretty full of gunk and it will wash out when you move the tank.

I would empty the tank down to one inch of water and remove the rocks and logs etc. Then you should be able to catch the plecos with a square plastic icecream container and your hands.

Then scoop out the gravel and put it in a bucket and tip out the rest of the crud. You will see what I mean about the gunk after you have fished the gravel out. KEEP THE GRAVEL WET. The filter bacteria for your undergravel filter system mostly live on the gravel. If it dries out they will die off and you will have to cycle the tank again. Now haul it off to the new location, put the gravel back in and refill with warm water.

Thats how I move my tanks anyway. If you dont have the undergravel filter then it may be more practical to move with the gravel and a bit of water. But with an established UG, you will arrive with an inch of mud in the bottom of the tank.

Cheers

Ian

I too would remove all the water. You are only going 3 blocks so the BNs will handle it cos the gravel will remain wet. They will also get moisture from the plants. I have had a BN out of the tank (hidden in a removed plant) for 2 hours before I saw it and put it back in the tank - no ill effects to the BN.

I wouldn't risk it, they're not that hard to catch are they?

I've moved a 3'x18" tank made from 6mm glass with the gravel and plants, but it was already sitting on a piece of mdf that we picked up to support the base of the tank. You can try it, and if you're sensible it should be fine, but make plants for what you're going to do if the tank does crack....

Thanks for the advice.

My tank set up is bit unconventional.

It does have an undergravel filter, but it only runs at the lowest filtaration most of the time.

Despite it being UGF, I got the tank heavily planted, some is little pots and some straight into UGF gravel.

I turn up the UGF only if i am too busy to clean the cannister filter and flow is starting to slow down.

=>So i really want to move the tank with gravel in place. Probably thats what I will do.

I might leave 1cm of water for the brsistle noses.

I will find a plank of wood, or might move the tank with its standand chuck the whole thing in the van. Have to see how heavy is the stand + tank emptied to 1inch level in real time.

As a backup I do have another tank I run in my brother's house which is only 10 minutes away. It is much larger (500L), so if things go wrong atleast the fishies can go there.

Will feed back on the happennigs and will check the thread to see any more advice or warnings beforehand.

Thanks again.

so you have a cannister filter as well? in that case i would take all the plants out, and get rid of the ugf. pointless having it in there if you have a cannister running. then it allows you to put some good substrate in there, instead of just gravel. you will find you get better plant growth. bristlenose arent hard to catch after you take everything else out :wink:

whatever you decide to do, hope it goes well.

So summary on my moving fish tank business.

On the day moving, 2 hours before moving the tank, emptied all but just 2 cm of water with the gravel, plant and some of the fish including Kribs.

Loaded the fish tank with the stand (which is steel with wood and polystyrene for the tank to sit on) on to the trailer (hard bit was carry the whole lot to the trailor, which took 3 of us).

Some of the Kribs were struggling as tank was sitting in a slight angle and not much water was around them.

Then unloaded the tank 10 min later. Fill the water quickly (half of it was the water from tank taken out initially).

So far-All fish alive

All plants are good.

No leak

But it was stessful for fish and me!!!!! :o

Next time if I am moving (esp if a longer distance), I might just empty the tank and move!

• 2 weeks later...