Will this tank be big enough for Discus?

Dixon1990

Would a 90x50x50cm tank be big enough for some discus? It will be planted.

And would the tank be overstocked with these fish?

4-5 Discus

Pair of BN

4 LG6 Whiptails

2 Clown plecs

10 sterbai and Panda Cory

Pair of Blue Rams

6-10 Black widow tetras

6-10 Rummynose tetras

The filter will be good I think but I do not keep discus. I understood they needed more space than that - even without the extra fish you plan to add.

That tank would be too small for clown loaches and that is a lot of bottom dwelling fish listed.

Hi Aaron,

I have kept 6 Discus in a 100x50x50cm tank, 5 will be fine in your tank as long as you do twice weekly water changes of 40% or more. Don't buy really small discus i.e 3-4cm if you are going to put them straight into a planted tank as they need at least 3 feedings a day and lots of water changes to get them to grow properly without being stunted. Also make sure the Discus you buy are all the same size as the smallest fish will get picked on otherwise.

As Caryl said you have too many bottom dwelling algae eaters in that tank, I would get rid of the Clown Plecs and the 4 whiptails. They create a lot of waste and you will have water quality problems and end up killing the Discus. I would also leave out the Black Widow Tetras as they will be too boisterous for the Discus, and just go for 12 Rummy Nose Tetras instead.

An Aqua One CF1200 will be suitable for your tank.

This is what I would have:

4-5 Discus

Pair of BN

6 Sterbai or Panda Cory

1 Pair of Blue Rams

12 Rummy Nose Tetras

Cheers,

Matt

Wish i could. Just not enought room.

Does this sound better?

4-5 Discus

Trio of BN

4 LG6 Whiptails (they arent really bottom dwellers, they spend most of their time at the tops of plants and on the walls)

3-5 Sterbai and 3-5 Panda Cory

8 Rummynose tetras

And might try the Black widow tetras for a while to see if they get along with all the other fish.

Also might add a pair of apistos and clown plecs when i upgrade later on.