Hara Hara - Indian Moth Catfish

Dark

I remember someone mentioning a small catfish they had a couple of but couldn't remember the details/name of. Well I was looking through a 2003 practical fishkeeper (which the have at the wellington public library) and found the 'Hara Hara - Indian Moth Catfish'

Dunno if that is what was being looked for - there is info but no pics under 'Hara' on fishbase, although Google brings up a whole pile of results - but it sounds right.

Heres a pic

http://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/hara_hara.htm

looks like a cross 'twixt a syno and a banjo (producing 'synoban' which sounds like a cold remedy)

So 'whoever you are' hope this is useful.

Just for interests sake - anyone know if they can be got in NZ? PFK rekons they are hard to get because they are from india and imports rarely come, although PFK is printed in the UK.

And to answer my own question:

TropicalBlue rekon they can get them in for about $14.50

Hi Dark,

I have seen them a few times in Auckland. In the pet shops they were around $8 - $15 (can't rember the exact price). They seem to be like neat little cats and I was tempted but just never got around to buying them. I will have to look for them again.

Cheers, CatBrat.

they're available occassionally up here in Whangarei too.....have had a couple in the tank for the last yr - very inoffensive little characters

.....look very much like a bit of dead leaf ...till you put some frozen bloodworms into the tank and then they're off.......hovering round - totally ignoring the other fish in pursuit of their favourite food

sue

f9863375.jpg