cutting glass

formallyknowasNRC101

If it's not cutting cleanly (breaking off at all angles) then it's no good. Window glass, depending how old it is, can be very brittle and have lots of internal stress built up in it from years of thermal cycling. These stresses can weaken a tank. If you can't cut it straight using normal cutting methods then don't try to use it...

the quality of the cut is often reduced by people not really knowing what they are doing. Use an older cutter, one that is new is too sharp and will be normally use by experianced glass cutters for cutting thiner 2 and 3 mm glass.

Use Inox or a light machine oil to keep the cut "warm" and make one firm cut. Put a straight edge under the cut and put even pressure each side untill it snaps. Glass has a greater impact strenght than steel and will last for many years but as Warren mentioned, real old glass has been altered by a flowing effect and because of its slightly uneven thickness, becomes a little harder to cut.

The other thing that makes glass hard to cut is the method of manufacture. Older NZ made glass was made useing a meathod called drawn. The glass was drawn vertically from a bath of moulten glass and this method makes the glass hard to cut due to again its uneven thickness as well as the grain within it. Things like machinery and even earth movement will effect it.

Nowdays glass is made useing a float system where the glass is floated ot on a bed of tin and the quality and cutting properties are of a much higher standard.

Is the cutter your useing in good condition? and is it a an older cutter?. When your useing it does ithave little misses in the cut? I take it that the glass is out of the frame?

Most glass companys will offer a cutting service and that may well be worth while in takeing advantage of although they may well charge you (well would you give away free labour, it dosnt pay the bills)

(I have a glass company and have been in the trade for 40 years)

Thank you all for your reply.

my cutter is new and it seems to jump when i try and cut so it doesnt make one line instead makes alot of little lines, also its the longer cuts that are going off on an angle but the smaller ones are fine. i think it is that i just dont really know what i am doing,

If your in Auckland some stage, get in touch and I will show you how to cut.

When your cutting, always start your cut 2 mm in from the edge as most cutters are "stuffed" by starting them over the edge of the glass. With the hardness of glass, this creats a "miss" in the cut and this sounds like what you have. If thats the case, the best use for the cutter is as land fill.

as I mentioned, let me know when your up this way and I will give you some pointers

Sorry to steal this thread, ive had issues cutting glass too but only ever spent less than $10 on a glass cutter and they just dont seem to work I cant seem to get a descent mark on the glass and have to keep going back over it and it just goes to crap..

I was thinking about buying a new cutter (with the theory being spending a bit more money and getting one that is self oiling etc might work a bit better) but theres so many on trade me that all say they're good.. Anyone tried any of these?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchR ... ype=Search

Thanks for any advice..

Keep running it backwards and forwards Ryan and you'll have more success with a hammer.

A cut in the glass is not really a cut, it is a score, a weakening, and you will not create that with multiple cuts.

Not only that, you promply stuff up the cutter.

I use those oil filled ones, and as long as you keep the reservoir filled you should have no problems. I use 1/2 and 1/2 engine oil and kerosine.

Clean the area where the line is to be marked, make sure that it is dry, be confident, hold tour straight edge firmly, and make the cut in one stroke.

Barrie is the best to tell you which is the top for a cutter.

Mine cost about $75.00

the Green Daimantor cutters are as good as any and normally cost about $4.50... well thats what I sell them for any way. Alans 100% correct about the cut and only one should be made.

The main problem people have in useing a cutter is they hold it incorectly (hard to explain in writeing) and dont really know how hard to push.

BTW, we only use the green Daimantor cutters and although we have bought the self oiling ones, we always turn back to old faithfull

Again, Im happy to show anyone thats interested how to cut glass... no charge, thats free even

lol I have one of those cutters too got it for $8 from bunnings..

I guess its all technique then.. I dip the end in lawnmower oil before trying to cut and yeah i do struggle to figure out what way to hold it, it looks so easy when the glass companies do it!

I think i have got it down now. i spary my cutting disc with a penertrating oil called break away. make sure its really oiled up and do one cut. then i do a snapping action over the ruler. i have found if the score is a little off its still better to try snap it then go over it again and again and snap it. i was getting a better result by doing it once.