time to throw out my drift wood?

shadowfax

have had my new tank set up for about 3 months now & the water is still tea coloured, which i dont mind. but there is alot of "stuff" just floating around in the tank & fine dust on everything. my filter does 1000/ph but just wont clear the dusty stuff & i need to clean the sponges every week. ive been pulling the tank apart to shift today & have found alot of black muck coming from 1 bit of wood, ive scrubbed it but the more i scrub the more crap comes of it. it came from the lsf only a couple of months ago but im sure its the reason for the problems. what annoys me is its new & i think it needs to be chucked already. ( its a big picece of wood too!)

Black muck you can scrub off sounds like it may be a rotten bit. Can you cut that bit off and make sure it is at the back or has a plant in front to hide the cut?

If you have flakey bits of wood drifting around there is definitely a rotten bit of log somewhere.