DIY - Plywood/Glass Tanks???

CatBrat

Hi everyone,

For a while now I have been planing/dreaming about building a large tank (8'x2'x2.5') out of plywood/glass. I was just wondering if anybody out there has ever had any experience with this sort of tank. I have been researching a lot about them, but would really like some help from people that have had first hand experience with them.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, CatBrat.

A tank of that size can easily be made out of all glass. There is a thickness calculator on this site somewhere but I think 15mm is what you will end up with. I know several people with 8ft plus tanks that are bigger (deeper and higher) all glass no problems.

I just built a 5ft (1600mm) tank myself out of 10mm glass no real problems.

My advice would be to think about the lid design. That is where your lights will be/sit and where your braces will be accross the top. Brace location is pivitol esp if using metal halide lights.

Also if you are going to be lighting it with fluros, make it a little over 8ft, just so there is enough room for 2x 4ft tubes to run the length of the tank, if you know what I mean?

Sounds like a great project though so good luck with it, and of course it is going to be a Marine tank right? ;)

Pies

Thanks for your replies,

@ Pies -

The reason that I wanted to build the tank out of plywood and not all glass is the price. One sheet of plywood costs a lot less (around $40, 8'x4') than a sheet of glass ($310 for a 8mm sheet at 8'x2'). And no its not going to be a marine tank :wink: , its most likly going to be for a large collection of catfish/plecos :D .

@ Doc Holiday -

Is the tank that you are talking about the one which says 'FISH Tank, 91x39x38.' If so I think that the measurement are in 'cm' not 'inches' as the price is only $150, but thanks anyway.

Does anyone know a cheep place to get glass from as this is likly to be the most expensive part.

Cheers, CatBrat.

if you are willing to take the risk of getting glass that may have a possible flaw you can obtain second hand glass from most glass suppliers. they save sections from shop-fronts to re-use.

the problem with that is it is impossible to tell whether the glass has any flaws and is therefore going to hold the strain or not.

usually i would use that glass as reinforcement or for a tank when certain that it will not matter (like making a 3 foot tank out of 10mm etc).

i have read a few articles in the library on making plywood tanks - the idea being to make a box and cut a viewing hole in one side. apparently the original dutch tanks were constructed in this fashion due to the extreme cost of glass 'in the old days'

the only problem i can see would be finding a waterproofing system that was not toxic to fish - otherwize you can then just keep nailing 2/4s to the tank until you think it will be strong enough! :)

Hi,

sorry about the mistake before :oops:.

Thanks Dark.

@Chris.L

To stop the plywood soaking up the water you coat the inside with apoxy.

Here is a site that has the info on them.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/d ... arium2.php

Also if you do a google search for 'DIY - plywood/glass tanks you get lots of info.

Anyone out there who has made one and could give me some pointers.

Cheers, CatBrat.

I've had kind of a thought about that...I wonder if you can't get a good waterproof paint(Though, I think any polyurethane should be fine) you could maybe use cheap, thin glass inside just to waterproof it and the plywood is the actual structural strength.

Yes and yes, it's totally sealed and ok for marines. It has a steel frame. The ply is 2 x 19mm laminated with polyester resin and chopstrand fibreglass over the top. The fibreglass goes right to the top and wraps around the steel for extra leak protection. Its very strong - after all it hold 3000kg of water...

No good for marine's however as it would require 2 or 3 x 1kW MH's. Would cost far to much to run in power... It would probably use nearly what it cost to build in power each year!

They are a very cheap alternative to all glass tanks. The total cost to build the tank was $1800. It took a few favours and a heap of DIY but it's a fairly realistic price that anyone could achieve. Of course, smaller tanks would be much cheaper, - especially when you consider the main cost was the front glass at $1000.

Hi,

For the tank that I am planning (L 240cmxH 60cmxW 75cm) can anyone tell me what the thickness of the glass should be?

Also, does anybody have any ideas on how to filter such a tank?, would I be able to make a filter or would I have to buy one?

Cheers, CatBrat.

I am also researching a plywood/glass combo tank after having a bad experience with an all glass 5 footer breaking!

Mine is going to be 6' x 2' x 2'

I found a product a mitre 10 called gripset 51 (www.gripset.com) - a rubberised waterproofing compound that is safe for fishponds, watertanks and other potable water containers it is cheap and should work!

I've been doing a fair bit of research on this whole plywood tank thing

My old man is a cabinet maker/carpenter so guess who is going to be doing all the work!

I've been wondering if I can put glass on the ends as well as the front of the tank.

I think I may build a frame and then screw the plywood to that rather screw ply ro ply

I have just commisioned a tank to be built for me. Its made of 10mm glass. It has 3 holes drilled for plumbing (25mm holes). It has no lids but does have center braces. Reinforcing across the bottom edges. Custom lid (no centre brace but 2 mid braces) all included.

I also have some 'bulk head' fitting to have fitted. This includes them being glued in (but does not include the item themself, at about $15ea).

Tank Dimentions 980Lx450Dx600H.

Cost $100.00 incl GST.

Will be ready to be picked up on Monday.

No plywood in site ;) Anyone in Wellington is likley to get a similar deal and I can put you in touch with him as required. Professional tank builder.

NOTE: All glass is 2ndhand recycled glass. New glass is available but does add significiently to the cost.

Tank will be water tested for 24hrs prior to pickup (delivery not included!)

Pies

Hi,

I posted this a couple of days ago, but I guess that everyone was looking at page 2. Can anyone help?

For the tank that I am planning (L 240cmxH 60cmxW 75cm) can anyone tell me what the thickness of the glass should be?

Also, does anybody have any ideas on how to filter such a tank?, would I be able to make a filter or would I have to buy one?

Cheers, CatBrat.