Redness around gills

Southerrrngirrl

I've just noticed one of my Blue gourami's appears to have a slight redness around the gill area. It was also kinda just hanging out quietly at the bottom of the tank, its top fin sorta clamped. Tested for ammonia, doesn't appear to be any registering. Is there anything else that causes gill redness? None of the other fish in the tank (3 other gourami's and a couple of blue rams) are displaying any symptoms.

I just fed them, and the one with the redness seems to be hungry and alert now, seems to be swimming about normally.

Something to be concerned about??

If it is ammonia burn, I obviously need to do a water change, but what else can I do, does the burn heal by itself??

Ok, I'm now thinking that this fish is suffering from the same thing as one of my dwarf gouramis was. I ended up having the dwarf put down, because it wasn't swimming very well, sort of just lying on its side.

Another syptom, well maybe a symptom I don't know, is the tail is sort of drooping down. It's still hungry and when I come over to the tank it swims up to the top thinking its feeding time, and it does eat, but I've also noticed that it seems to be getting bullied by the other blue gourami in the tank. This other one, who seems to be a happy, healthgy fish, "attacks" the sick one.

Could this fish just be stressed out from being bullied? The dwarf gourami I had put down was harrased by the other dwarf gourami.

With the flukes, someone said there might be things sticking out of the gills?? I can't see anything like this on my sick fish, the gills themselves look and operate perfectly normal, apart from the slight pink/red discolouration near them.

I really don't want to have to put this fish down too so what are my options?? Moving the bully to my other tank?? I did try moving the sick dwarf gourami to my other tank, but I think it might have been to far gone. Help! :(

• 2 weeks later...

Well the gourami in question, had to be put down on Tuesday night. I came home to see it lying on the gravel, breathing rapidly and curling itself up, obviously not a happy fishy. :cry:

I don't get it. It was happy. I had observed it that morning, just quietly hanging out at the bottom of the tank, but thats generally what they do early in the morning when the lights are off so. The night before swimming around happy, eating etc. No signs of anything, had just done a water change a couple days beforehand.

I'm really starting to get quite dejected with this hobby. I think I pretty much suck at it.

I had a Dwarf Gourami go the same way and was put down a couple of weeks ago. It was displaying the same symptoms although didn't notice the gill redness as described above.

I can't go bigger brighter shinier.. no $$'s. And it also generally means more work. Two tanks is enuff for me thanks, especially the way my fish poop!

How does one know if a fish has fishy TB?

i'd agree don't get discouraged by dwarf gouramis they can be tricky things. I've had two die, water parameters fine, they just started hanging out near the top of the tank and floating sideways and then up and died, so dont' take their deaths to heart!