Why is my ammonia rising again?

michael.qian

Few weeks back I added fish too fast as many of you may already know, but about 10-11 days ago ammonia was down to 0ppm for 2 days continuously and also 0ppm nitrite.

3-4 days ago I tested ammonia (I do everyday), and found levels rising slightly, yesterday it was up to about 0.5ppm or maybe even slightly higher.

Any ideas for why this is happening? I havnt cleaned my filter at all for 4 weeks now, maybe I should give it a rinse?

Also last wednesday and last saturday I did 2 full doses of ICH medicine, ICH is defintely gone now, but maybe the medicine killed some of the bacteria?

Thanks for any ideas.

Also could it be my filter is not enough for the number of fish I have?

It's rated for tank up to 160L, it is an Eheim 2010 Pickup. But considering the number of fish I have am I better off upgrading to a larger filter? I'm thinking of an Fluval 4 Plus.

BTW sold my 16X white clouds, still in my tank though, planning to get some corys instead. Or a female siamese fighter if they are ok for community tanks.

It's rated for tank up to 160L, it is an Eheim 2010 Pickup. But considering the number of fish I have am I better off upgrading to a larger filter? I'm thinking of an Fluval 4 Plus.

Personally I would stick with the Eheim. There wont be enough difference in filter performance to justify the cost. The Fluval pumps more water, but I believe the Eheim has more filter media, so similar results. Of course you could go for a nice canister filter, but by the time you buy one of those you could have set up another 100l tank with basic equipment and have solved your overcrowding that way (for a while at least) :wink:

Cheers

Ian

Tested ammonia this morning this morning and it's still the same as yesterday, 0.5ppm or slightly above.

Will stick with the Eheim for now, going to do a 25% water change tomorrow, but if it doesn't rise or even drops a little I'll do the change on wednesday, which is exactly 1 week from last wednesday when I did my 25% change.

I doubted my tank is overcrowding biologically though, just thought it's better to have a bit more variety rather than 2 lots of schooling fish in big numbers.

What about a male siamese fighter? Just one, some of them look great with their colours.

cheers

Re BK

Yes I put in asbout 30 malayan trumpet snails long long time ago, pretty sure most of them are dead under the gravel as I see a few hollow shells now and then, do see the odd ones out at night time though, even yesterday a fairly big was was visible on the glass.

Last water change was last wednesday, since then ammonia dropped to 0ppm but has picked up again unfortunately, highly suspect the ICH medicine.

Will do one tomorrow unless it stays the same or begin to drop which in that case will do it on wednesday, which makes it a complete week.

I actually most of the trumpet snails died of cold temperature before I added a heater, about 2 months ago. Before that my tank was at about 14 degrees.

yeah. just catch it with a small, fine net and dump it in the net breeder, which will be hanging on the inside of the tank. the befefit of the net breeder over the betta containers is that there are only small holes in the net breeder so small fish can't be sucked out of it by larger fish :D

Could be swordtail or WCMM, hard to tell at that size.

There are probably several in there, and if you can catch them a breeding net will work fine. But the ones that are left are the hardest to catch/ best at hiding ones. :wink:

About now you start thinking " A small breeding tank would be handy "..

And so it begins :lol:

Cheers

Ian

It's going to be very hard to catch I think.

I think it hangs around under the driftwood most of the time, tried looking for it this morning but couldn't see it.

It's current size won't fit in the WCMM or the neon tetras, can't fit most of the swordtails except two of the biggest ones, will fit in the clown loach's mouth and I'm most worried about that.

Could be.. after a few days it will be big enough to survive.

Many fish will spawn in a community tank, and often a couple of fry will make it if there are no big predators in there.

But setting up a breeding tank lets you raise 90% of the fry instead of 10%.

Cheers

Ian

About now you start thinking " A small breeding tank would be handy "..

And so it begins :lol:

Ian

Ians right.. it does begin.. my baby glow lights beat the odds and 2 survived without any care/feeding/help from me so I just HAD to get a breeding tank to see if I could breed the spawning parents myself. I got sucked in. They wont go near each other in the breeding tank....yet I feel a need to fill it with something...

and so it continues... Good luck with the ammonia.