seahorses

carznkats

Alot... Seahorses are hard creatures to maintain in an artificial environment. In Saying that Some Seahorses are far easier to maintain than others. The easiest seahorses to maintain are the tropical seahorses as you won't require a chiller (Which are expensive and suck power). Kudas and pot-bellies would require good filtration through live rock and/or protein skimming. Lighting is not an issue unless you are wanting to keep corals. Water movement should be very light and you should be able to provide a decent supply of various foods including Mysid and Brine-Shrimp. If you have good quality water they are not that difficult to look after if you house them in a species tank (I'e not in a reef tank with heavy water flow, aggressive fish etc).

Call Jansens in Mt Eden, they MAY still have some left at uber special prices.

the bad thing with that marko is that carznkats lives in the best city...

... christchurch :P

i would go for the stuff on trademe in most chch shops its about $10 a kg :x

Just wondering, are there still any captive bred seahorses available down there?

And if you are thinking of catching your own, caring for and feeding wildcaughts is a Whole different "kettle of fish"! Please research thoroughly 1st.

Heat in the summer is a big cause of stress for seahorses, causing illness & death. For potbellies, you will need a chiller. Tropical tanks are cheaper/ easier to maintain correct temp.

Don't get in a rush and keep reading up! :)

I'm not trying to discourage you, just want to hear a success story later and not a sad one. I made my share of mistakes!

I have a temperate with Potbellies and a troppo with kuda.

Yes, I am a seahorse nut, LOL!

Yeah, I'm doing the research now, but will slowly set it up. From what i've read it will take a few months to get everything sorted before I add the seahorses. Considering I was going to do this about a year ago, I think I can wait a few more months! :lol: :lol:

I think livingart has some potbellies which will be ready in a few months time, but other than that I might go for some kuda's...just depends on how things go...

you can try cooking the live rock but as that stuff sounds pretty good, it'd be a waste of time. but not a waste of money as liverock usually sells from $10 and higher. as long as you have a big enough container, saltwater, a powerhead, and/or airpump to circulate the water around the liverock you should be able to get it now. also need to keep up with regular water changes.

just make sure you get a refractometer to check the salinity of the water if your going to use red sea salt etc. also NSW is slightly high on the salinity scale and you may have to water it down with some RO/DI water. maybe someone on here can run your liverock in their sump or something for you til you have everything you need.

Yeah Wilson, will try to be there...unless my cold gets worse in which case I don't want to let others get it :oops:

By the way what is a refractometer? is it a hydrometer? :oops:

Also what does NSW and RO/DI stand for? :o:o:o

I do have a bag of red salt and a large plastic tub which I could possibly use until I get things set up as well as a spare fluval 204 filter, but I would need to get another pump as all of mine are in use at the moment :wink:

Thanks for all your help so far :hail::hail::hail:

I would need to get another pump as all of mine are in use at the moment

i have a 450 l/h pump you could use i dont know how good it it i got it for $10 new lol

RO/DI i dont know about DI but RO means reverse osmosis

and NSW means natural sea water