Hardness(GH/KH)???

gills

Hi all, :)

I need to understand about water hardness better than I do now before I start my pressurized co2 system.

I know I have to watch my Ph closely.

I realise you measure GH, KH and Ph to calculate the co2 concentration but is it essential to monitor the hardness so closely?

How do I find out what the hardness should be for my fish?

I know what the Ph should be, does that always correspond with the right hardness?

Does anyone know of some good sites or articles on the net that explain it in simple laymans terms without getting too technical?

All constructive input and sugestions appreciated. :)

The Aquarium Wolrd magazine (which will be out in the next couple of weeks) has an article on water hardness. It talks about hardness, general hardness, carbonate hardness, temporary hardness, how to determine dH, and how to soften hard rain water.

Generally speaking, most town water supplies are fine for both hardness and pH (there are a few exceptions) so it isn't something you need to worry about.

A good CO2 level is generally recommended to be around 15 - 25ppm. You can either measure the CO2 directly or measure pH and kH and obtain CO2 from a table.

As long as when you set it up you know how many bubbles per minute you need to get the right CO2 level for your kH you are fine. You don't need to keep monitoring it which is the great difference with pressurised CO2.

The krib has good info on the relationship between CO2, pH, KH and GH.

Chucks planted aquarium calculates CO2 levels in your tank

Also, Estimative index in depth, EI (not so in depth!)and PMDD dosing

Steve Hampton's plant site

Plant Geek forum on CO2 and water chemistry

Pressurised CO2 parts

Links page for pressurised CO2 and aquascaping forums and info.

Heaps of Amano tank pic links just to get you inspiration!

"Tanks" for the info guys :lol:

Generally speaking, most town water supplies are fine for both hardness and pH (there are a few exceptions) so it isn't something you need to worry about.

But Caryl, doesn't CO2 change the hardness when added?

As long as when you set it up you know how many bubbles per minute you need to get the right CO2 level for your kH you are fine.

So how do I find this out?

And thankyou for all the links Shell. :D

Ah right my bad. Yeah I don't really know, I only use a Nutrafin Co2 kit (rated for tanks up to 75L) on a 120L tank, so I know it's not anywhere close to being too much. The plants do appreciate it though. I haven't noticed any pH problems since I've been using it either, and I have been monitoring.

No worries mate. :D I'm using a DIY yeast setup, its ok but i'm sick of doing the mixes and in this cold weather they don't last long.

I might just have to try 1 bubble every 3-4 seconds monitor it and adjust it. :)

CO2 reacts with the water to form carbonic acid (hence coca cola has a pH OF 4.6 if I remember correctly) The carbonate and bicarbonate are used as a buffer and will react with the acidity (H+ ions) and increase the pH again. What you need to remember is that this reaction generally leaves calcium ions and will increase the hardness, which may or may not be a problem depending on what fish you are keeping.

When I set mine up, I measured pH and kH before turning the CO2 on.

The pH will change when you add CO2. The kH will remain constant.

Turned it on to about 2 bubbles per second . After several hours I measured pH again.

Went to the handy online CO2 chart and looked up how much CO2 I had from the measured pH and kH. If the level of CO2 is too low, you increase the bubbles per second. If the level of CO2 is too high, you lower the bubbles per second. Until you get to the right level (~15 - 25ppm).

Alternatively you can just buy a CO2 testing kit or drop checker and slowly increase the CO2 bubbles per second until you hit the level you want.

If your water has a low kH and low starting pH, you may need to add baking soda or shell chips at the beginning to increase the kH and hence the starting pH. Otherwise your pH will be too low at the optimal CO2 level. I add 1/2 tsp baking soda with every water change to keep my kH around 4.

Hope this helps. I know there are people way more experienced with CO2 on this forum who should know the answers!

Ditto on the tank shell, very nice. :hail::D

I see you had some Vallisneria in the back left corner in the first photo but not in the second. Did in not survive or is the Rotala hiding it? Mine seems to struggle(more than other plants) if not provided with enough nutrients.

What type of Diffuser/Reactor do you use? I can't see one inside the tank in the pics, Is it inline?

The grass at the back is Cyprus grass. It has been struggling in comparison to the stem plants in front of it. It grows, but much slower. I've been reluctant to remove it though as my oto's love it for some reason! I think Cyprus grass looks better in bigger tanks when it curves over with the current.

The diffuser is a 20mm glass/ceramic diffusor (ADA knock off) from trademe. It's hiding behind the ambulia. Pressurised CO2 is great. But I have to dose ferts heaps for a small tank to keep it in balance.

How's the CO2 going gills? What plants have you got? Any pics?

Co2's going good shell, no fluctuations in Ph yet, it's still on 7,KH=50 and GH=60 so according to co2 calc co2=8ppm so time to up the bubbles per sec.

As for plants,Twisted Vallisneria,Cabomba,Java Moss,Java Fern 'windelov',Lilaeopsis zelandia,Crypt cordata,Rotala rotundofolia, and a couple of others I don't know the names of. :-?

No pics yet sorry, gotta get a new digi cam, last one got dropped. Might try with the phone.

But I must say that mine pails in comparison to yours and many others i've seen on this site :hail::hail::hail:

Only fish people talk in degrees. Scientists talk in ppm. The water in Christchurch is about 45ppm hardness expressed as calcium carbonate. One degree is about 18 and a bit ppm so Christchurch is about 2.5 degrees---relatively soft by international standards. When Europeans talk about hard water they mean it will hold up a teaspoon by itself.