DISCUS QUESTION

hevalump

I comtemplating setting up a discus only tank, what would be the recommended litres per fish required............. :D... are discus a difficult type of fish to keep also......... i haver heard that they required soft and warm water....... BUT THEY ARE JUST SOOO BEAUTIFUL! :o

15g a discus is a pretty good rule. Do regular water changes on them, have it well planted (so they have somewhere to hide). I wouldn't recommend getting small ones as they tend to need perfect water (not that discus don't, they are just harder than others to look after). I would get some medium ones, say 3-4 inch in diameter. A pH of 6.5 is good. Make sure the tank is well cycled, I would hate to add them in too early and wake up and find them floating.

If you buy them in a group, they tend to have less fighting than if they are in groups of 3 or less, and you may find you get some pairs (and get the tank bug ;)).

If there's anything else just ask :D

Chris-

ha, one of my blonder moment :oops: (grams, what the heck was i thinking :S), we have a 80L tank but have devoted that to community fish (and a eel heh heh) and the other tank ive got is about 35L so it looks like ill have to wait until I devote another tank to them and thus a whole room to my fishy friends. Talking about my 35L tank, i got practically given it (hey, i couldnt turn a bargan down) and now am trying to decide what i could put in it. Any ideas?

ha, one of my blonder moment :oops: (grams, what the heck was i thinking :S), we have a 80L tank but have devoted that to community fish (and a eel heh heh) and the other tank ive got is about 35L so it looks like ill have to wait until I devote another tank to them and thus a whole room to my fishy friends. Talking about my 35L tank, i got practically given it (hey, i couldnt turn a bargan down) and now am trying to decide what i could put in it. Any ideas?

Well, you could put your eel in it, I hope you don't have little fish in where it's going, they eat neons :D Good live food for them.

Setup a eel only tank :D

well, we brought 10 harlequin rasboras when we cycled our tank, and i thought it wouldnt matter if eddie the eel (or eddette, i dont know how to sex a eel) ate a few, but now im kinda fond of the little blighters......... i could put eddie in the 35 L tank my its self....... but she/he is already about 15-20cm and i have no idea on growth rate...... im also a fan on gorami, (ok ok, ive only been a fish owner for a few weeks but now im ADDICTED :o ) but i would imagine a 35 L would be too small for a couple of them am i right?

You could get away with 5 or 6 in a 4 footer. You dont need to many plants,(use large leafed plants) discus can hide behind them yes, but you do want to look at them.

Temp 26 to 30 degrees, if breeding28-30.

ph anywhere from 6.3 to 7.5 but if breeding the lower the better.Constant water changes is the trick, at least every other day. Try & make all the discus the same size, little ones get picked on & miss out at feeding time.

This here is a good site full of good info, especially tips on buying & the like;

http://www.dph.nl/

& this one, note h2ohhh,Rod(discus guru) he has been breeding discus here for years;

http://pub5.ezboard.com/fqldchiclidsfrm30

hope these help.

Frenchy