nano build (well not quite nano...)

Rockerpeller

hey peeps,

Been planning this tank for the last few months and have finally completed the display tank, sump and stand. Tank measurements are 500mm L x 347mm W x 450mm H, which is roughly 20 gal. the sump is a 7 gal tank with a modified H500 Aquaclear filter (custom sump will be added later, just wanted to see how it would handle for now). The filter will be a refugium. The skimmer is being sent over from Oz as i type this so it will be added to this set-up when it gets here.

originally, this tank was to house my sons clownfish and a few corals of some sort but now its been blown out to be a 150w MH lit grow out tank. 2 birds with 1 stone. he doesn't mind as he'll have something to look at in his room.

Plumbing is up next so I'll update this thread with pictures when I get around to it.

heres the latest pics so far.

Twin Durso overflows in an external overflowbox (doesn't eat into the space in the tank and i can still get the benefits of surface skimming)

16072007001cb3.jpg

16072007002ia2.jpg

16072007vw8.jpg

FTS

Planning on using some Loc-line fittings for flow direction through an SCWD for random flow hence the bulkheads in the sides of the tank.

17072007001fq3.jpg

Will have photos of the tank on the cabinet etc in the next few days.

So hows it look so far? Take it easy on me :P

yea well thats what i thought but a few sites regard a nano as anything under 20 gal complete system... hence the title name (not quite nano...) lol its just over at 27.6 or something like that. meh not worried. have ordered the loc-line and plumbing etc so an update will be soon.

the tank is currently on the stand right now and figuring out how to set the sump for max flow. Any suggestions on pump? will a 800LPH pump do the job or something larger. i've read the bare minimum is to cycle the tank over 8-10 times an hour but the pump is only temporary. only really gonna be used for a freshwater test then its gonna be a pump upgrade.

the sump has already been made (ie. baffles) to accomodate a bigger pump already and thats just drying now.

Rule of thumb is a minimum of 10 x's flow but in your tank you may be able to get away with less. Just wondering what kind of corals you are thinking of getting as that will be a consideration if it's softies and LPS you might get away with 8 x's flow. But to achieve that through a SCWD you need 10 x's flow assuming it cuts flow 20%.

I once had a 60 litre tank with assorted LPS and sarcophyton, the flow was a 400 lph powerhead plus the skimmer probably 200 lph, the flow was very gentle but the growth of the LPS was extrodinary I had to frag them constantly.

If you use a SCWD will it be internally or externally mounted?

heres an update

Dursos plumbed up...

18072007001lj5.jpg

18072007wh9.jpg

sump plumbing with a 4000lph lifetech pump.

18072007002so5.jpg

I've used the Lifetech because its just sitting around. should i stick with this pump or get something smaller?

Getting the Loc-line in the next couple of days and the hose fittings for the returns.

There is anumber of factors including not just the lph of the pump but what the pressure rating is, the lift, and how the SCWD will effect it, best plan now it's set up is try it & see :D .

The set up is starting to look good, if you have sps you will want good flow, plus some quite spots for other types of coral. In a tank this size will be quite a challenge, but looks like you are heading the right direction.

• 3 weeks later...

its going good. got the new sump in place which has upped the total water quantity to around 120L-130L (haven't worked it out yet as I'm adding rock to the sump). currently doing the touch-ups on the lighting. really don't wanna rush it but its pretty hard not to. lol auto top-up will come after the lights. currently just topping it up to a vivid mark on the sump.

• 4 weeks later...

still really good. the hermits are keeping the algae to a minimum with the help of the snails and coraline is popping up here and there on the back wall. and the the 2 shrooms and xenia that hitchhiked on the rock are growing pretty big now. still waiting on decent bulbs but they have been organised and its just a matter of funds for now.

Just got a new job so hopefully there will be some better components very very soon ie skimmer, pendant light etc.