another ph problem

jason_sheman

hi,

tonite i saw one of my fish not that well..so, i check the Ph value of my tank...it show up 6

anything will make the Ph drop suddenly .....

i change 20% water 3 days ago and i check my Ph is 7.....yesterday i check it again and it's 7...but tonite it just drop to 6..and i check it again and it still 6...so, i added some Ph up to the tank

anything will casue this situation?cos it's the second time already.....last time i have same situation, but the next morning i check the Ph again....it suddenly go high like 7.4....and i m sure the reading is good as everytime if the reading is not 7...i will do the test again to make sure the reading is right....

and both time happened at night

i have plants (but not that much), fish and wood in my tank.......anything in my tank will make this problem?

thx

not sure what causes it jason. have u tested your tap water? make sure u let it sit for a while, dont test it straight out of the tap.

honestly man using ph up or down i believe does more harm than good.

a ph of 6 is fine for most fish, as long as its stable.

I had some random ph jumps a few weeks ago(oscar didnt look well at all)...so i did a water change(water is neutral ph) and it decided to spike the next day...put some ph down in and since then its been fine. Any ideas on what could have caused it? I havent changed plants, fish, wood or rocks in months

It's strange your pH would fluctuate suddenly like like, normally they tend to stay constant, or start at for example 7 and drop very gradually toward your next water change.

Are you doing any thing else to your tank? How big is your tank?

If you want your pH to rise slowly add a handful of marble chips to your tank, they are pretty cheap I got them for $2.50 a bag from Hollywoods.

Also don't try to change your pH too quickly your fish won't like it at all.

i would suspect your driftwood, especially if it was recently added and is leaching tannins. I had a new piece of driftwood in my one of my tanks and found the pH would drop from around 7.1 to 6.0 over the period of a week, once i removed the wood my ph stabilised to 7.0

Throw those ph adjusting chemicals away, they are doing more harm than good and wasting your money at the same time.

Test your kh, see what the reading is (tap and tank). Its possible you have a low hardness (or it may be changing) so a long term fix could be bird grit or coral bits in the filter to raise the carbonate hardness slightly which in turn should help keep your ph more stable.

yep i hate chemicals avoid them where you can ..heres a thought all the recent rain can stir up different values in yr water making it harder orsofter depending on where you are lowering gh and also raising mineral content be aware of this esp with all the flooding recently itmay have come right by now buttest yr tap water to make sure