Help...tank leaked

eastcoaster

About 7 days ago my tank (250l) leaked about 1/3 of the way up from the base. Looks like I have managed to seal but now need to refill. Should I fill the tank to the top or do this gradually adding Stress coat and ammonia lock or should I fill the tank gradually bearing in mind that there is probably only 80l of water in the tank now. Not many fish in there at the moment.A dozen neons, couple of albino corys, 3 bristlenose and dwarf gouamis.

Thanks

Has the filter been running all the time, while the tank was partially empty?

If so, you could try gradually filling it up over a few days. (This also gives you a chance to check that it is not going to leak any more without flooding the house!)

Is the ammonia high? Otherwise I wouldn't bother with the ammolock.

Sounds good to me.

Adding chemicals can really stuff up the cycling of a tank, sometimes it is best to let it sort itself out naturally.

Someone else may have some other ideas on the matter?

Topping the tank up with fresh water should cause no problems if the filter is properly cycled. Just think of it as a 60% water change with a big delay in the middle.

BUT topping up in stages might be wise, could save a lot of water ending up on the floor again if the repair doesn't hold :o I would top up to just above where it leaked and then wait a couple of days.

Cheers

Ian

Come to the HBAS meeting on Wedneday night (7:30pm The National Aquarium of New Zealand, Marine Parade, Napier) see if you can pick up a new tank - it's auction night.

Transfer your fish to a new tank (after you have tested it outside to see if it does not leak!!), re silicone the other one, after it has cured, pop your fish back in - just ask any of the members how to do this, they will point you in the right direction..

Yes, do come to the meeting!!

I'll even do a special presentation for you about how to photograph and video your tank.

I do 50-70% waterchanges on a regular basis so you should have no trouble filling the tank right up as long as it doesn't leak and as long as the water temperature does not drop more than 2-3'C - ie, preheat the water.

Yes, bring cash for the auction and raffle. There's usually a good range of fish and I'll be bringing some plants. Look forward to seeing you there. I'll be the silly looking bugger sitting up front doing all the talking. Don't be afraid to introduce yourself!

Sounds like a strip down and rebuild to me, don't mess around and wait for the enivitable to happen.

It WILL happen at the worst time.

What are the colour of the joints?

Especially near wher the leak is?

Alan - I was interested to know if a certain colour of silicon indicates age or impending failure of the seal?

I've seen it go milky white before rather than clear or slightly opaque... what should you look out for?

If the joints are real trustworthy they will show a clear green.

The colour of the joining glas's depth.

If you see blemishes, that could be airpockets from the date of manufacture, or it could be that algae has got thru the internal corner and breaking down the integrity of the joint.

Milky white is normally the silicon under stress, or very fine air-bubbles.

Heading for a leak.