Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Moving to a heated tank

Featured Replies

I'd like some advice on heaters please.

I would like to add more fish to my current collection of 5 barbs (2x Ruby, 3x Rosy) which are currently in an unheated tank.

I am quite interested in Odessa Barbs which my LFS has in a heated tank. One of the people at the LFS suggested that I would be fine to get a heater and put it in with my current 5 fish, then add the Odessa Barbs. I would like a second opinion though, because my experience has been that the LFS doesn't always give the right advice...

Would my current 5 fish mind the addition of a heater? They were sold from an unheated tank and seem more than happy with their current unheated environment. If so, what is the optimum temperature to increase the tank to, and does it need to be increased over a slow period of time?

Also, in future would it be fine to buy a half dozen or so danios from unheated tanks and put them into the heated tank?

You should be OK swapping your tank to a heated one.

But I would raise the temp in slow steps, put the heater in on it's lowest setting, then wind it up a couple of clicks each day untill it's around 24-25C. Your existing fish will just think that summer has started earlier ;)

Ruby Barbs should be happy between 22 and 26 deg :)

Cheers

Ian

slowly increasing the temp would be fine, just increase it over by a degree or two over several days to around 25 - 26 if you want to add tropicals. i have a couple of rubys and several rosy barbs in a community tank at around 26 degrees

All those barbs cope with lower temperatures than most tropical which is why you can get away with the tank unheated, if the room temperature doesn't go below 20 - 22C. They are also good (possibly better) with a temperature of 22 - 26C

I bred odessa and rosy barbs outside in paddling pools over summer although I suspect the temperature in the pools was hotter than the temperature of my tropical tank inside 8)

  • Author

Thank-you for your comments - they are very helpful. Heater is now on its way!

I'm sure there'll be a lot more questions from this quarter as I learn more and more.

Cheers.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.