Water changes

heyandrea_

I have a small tank that had ammonia trouble recently and was doing water changes every 2nd day. Fixed the problem and didn't seem to cause any side effects.

Think I read somewhere that when you have an ammonia problem, take the water from the top of the tank. Not sure if ammonia is more concentrated up there (does ammonia float?) or if it is to avoid disturbing your gravel and all the good goobies growing there. Someone more learned may be able to cast more light.

Karen

I heard that ammonia was more concentrated at the bottom of the tank. If you have bottom dwelling fish, they can suffer more.

When I change the water, I try not to disturb the gravel too much, I use a siphon, and try and get rid of all the floaty bits.

I've been changing water every second day for the last week.

I was just wondering though, would it effect the cycling process, or slow it down at all? Just a sudden thought. Anyway probably better for the fish in the long run.

If ammonia goes up to 2ppm then a bigger water change would be neccessary to make sure all the fish survive.

I would do a 50% water change with ammonia at 2ppm, theoratically this should lower ammonia to 1ppm, from that point on, I would do smaller water changes depending on ammonia levels.

I was told when ammonia drops to 0.5ppm or below, don't do water changes for a few days unless it rises again, this allows the cycle to continue without any interruption and your fish will be ok at 0.5ppm ammonia, at least for a while.

Also don't do any cleaning, filter or gravel, to preserve the bacteria.

Yeah I've been leaving the gravel and the filter alone. Im only picking out all the floaty bits, that's it. I've been changing my water every second day, and its always risen to about 1ppm, within 48 hours, but this time it went right up to 2ppm. I'll have to observe the ammonia more closely in the next few days or so

Well you learn something everyday.. even if its the smallest thing. I didnt realise lol (dont hit me either). I always assumed that it was better for the fish because they might stress out having new water put in etc.. Anyway cant be as bad as my ammonia problem.

Luckily one of the first things I learnt was to never use detergent or anything lol!

To lessen the turbulance of the new water going in (cause sometimes it will blow them around) you can pour it over your hand or plate to diffuse the flow. Many fish love to play in the fresh water, or at least hang around close to it :)