Discus v Electric Yellows or similar

Adrienne

I'm really keen on the idea of some smallish 5-6cm discus for my tank but also really like the look of the Electric Yellows and similar sized cichlids. Possibly is going to come down to the amount of time taken to look after them properly and the type of fish I can give enough time to. Whats the story about water changes/ filtering etc or can you give me good site links to read up on them please.

I don't really mind whether the tank is bb or planted. Its more a case of what I will have time to care for properly given that I have seven tanks of fighters already, a couple of community tanks, three children! to look after and work full time. I'm just a bit worried about water changes and the time it takes to do these as I believe discus require frequent changes. At the moment I can get away with one evening a week on what I have already and the odd vacuum and top up on some of the bb tanks. I know next to nothing about discus or electric yellows, have looked up a few sites and get more confused by the minute.

My tanks is just over 100 litres - pretty much square in shape. If I went with electric yellows what sort of filter would I need and also what do I do about ph and hardness of water etc. Also how many fish would I put in that sized tank?

What are the actual dimensions of the tank? height etc... You can buffer your water with a bicarb epsom salt recipe, works great. In regards to filtration I would definately stay away from undergravel, Africans love to dig and the undergravel plates will continuously get uncovered all the time. External filter is a good option, some people may suggest internals, however I'm not really a fan, have only ever used them in a tank aswell as having an externa canister running too.