DISCUS water changes

tdj5

Most the serious discus breeders/keepers do water changes daily, the amount varies depending on their setup, ive been to one place that bred discus and he changed so much the fish were lying on their sides probably around 95%, but he had the storage for enough water to heat it to the right temp get the ph the same etc etc etc.

The theory with doing a heap of water changes is to make sure any waste products don't build up and your fish will grow faster etc.

Canaster filters are good unless your going to do a sump what did you want to know about them theres alot of threads devoted to just that subject.

Yeah nitrate (the end result of the nitrogen cycle) is believed to be growth inhibiting and the best way to get rid of it is via water changes. Most fish like some fresh air just like us but us discus nuts just seem to give them a bit more attention :)

Hi tdj5

With discus you ideally need to set up a system for efficiently changing water so it doesn't become to onerous.

Regards, TGWH

Hi guys.

Any examples of an efficient system for water changing?

I know it would vary with each individual and tank but i'd like to hear of other systems to compare and adapt if possible.

cheers :D

I drain my water out the window (siphon attatched to hosing bought at bunnings) then bucket the water back into the tank from my two aging bins (70L each) that have heaters and powerheads in both. Would like to get a big powerhead to pump the water back in but havent got that far yet.

i siphon out the door, then hose water through a benchtop water purifier. these apparently remove chlorine and other stuff. i dont bother with heating, water goes in cold but over a 20-30 minute period. i find the temperature only drops 3 or 4 degrees, and all the fish including the discus seem to enjoy the fresh cold water coming in. works for me.

I have two discus tanks, one 280 litre and 425 litres, what I do when changing water is depending on which tank, siphon out the door or the window, and using the kitchen mixer tap pump warm water, changing half the water at a time.

I used to use PH down for two years and now don't bother with any chemicals.