I am a naughty naughty girl...

Rozski

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: Glen. And thanks :D

Mini update. Have put in some dark gravel and replanted the dwarf sags, and also planted the val I received this morning. Will pop a photo up here tomorrow, as its a bit murky thanks to me stirring it all up again.

My two danios seem happy enough, and also have a bag floating in there now with 5 wee leopard danios. One lost a bit of skin off the base of his tail when caught at the shop I think, so am I right in buying melafix tomorrow to treat the tank with?

Another question. I want to be naughty (again lol) and get 3 leopard corys tomorrow afternoon. Our LFS next shipment of fish is due and they have 5 ordered. I am not sure how often they get new fish in, so I am keen to pick up 3 while they are there. Would they be ok in my tank, seeing as its only had water in it since Saturday and will probably be still cycling? *looks hopeful*

I siphoned the gravel in my small tank the other day and ran the water through the filter, and will do the same again tomorrow morning. I have a test kit, so can keep an eye on the water levels and do a change if anything spikes.... Will check the pH and ammonia levels tonight too.

I suppose there is always the option of putting them into my little established tank, but thought it would be nicer for them to only have one shift and be able to pick up flakes the danios miss. How big will spikes be in a large tank with only a few small fish?

Your thoughts are appreciated, thanks :bow:

I would think it's ok, though when I started my tank I waited a week before adding any fish, to make sure the water clears up.

I know the feeling of unable to wait to get some fishes in, very exciting.

I'm sure they'll be ok if the water itself is ok, never mind the murkiness, test for pH, nitrate and ammonia, if they are good your fish should be good.

Personally I would not buy fish that had just arrived at a lfs. You don't know how far they have travelled, and what conditions they travelled in or for how long. They have then been dropped into a new tank with different water conditions then you come along and stress them further by having them netted again, transported yet again and then dropped into new tank conditions. Leopard corys are not that robust. I think it would be kinder on them if you waited and at least made sure the danios survive the cycling first.

Corys shouldn't be added to a new tank. Let it mature a bit.

I never use meds in a tank unless I absolutely have to. Most fish will heal small scrapes etc on their own without extra meds if the tank is well maintained.

I would use white spot cure if I had white spot in the tank.

Here is tank, mostly cleared now:

Tank6.jpg

Picked up some malachite green and formalin from our LFS, just in case *touches wood* I ever have a white spot breakout, so I have it on hand.

Stuffed hands in pockets while admiring the fish :wink: I checked, and they do fish orders every fortnight too, which is good. Have to say I loved the little Swift Rasboras (Rasbora hengeli). Might have to have a school of them one day :D

Thanks :D and yup, waiting till its safer. They're not cheap fish, so will wait till theres less risk

Reason i asked about the danio with the scrape is I just lost my nice male dwarf gourami. He had a scrape type wound on his side that looked to me as though it wasn't getting any worse/was healing, and I went home for 2 weeks leaving my bf to feed my fish every 2 days and check on them. Got back to find the scrape had ulcerated and eaten right through him (was just above his bottom fin). Sent him to fishy heaven :(

Was considering that Caryl, but then the heater power cable would be running across the tank still :-? Damn heaters and filter lol. I like tanks as natural looking as possible. Might shift it along next time I have my arm in there and see how it looks

Yeah, was talking to another fishkeeper friend who breeds as well and she said she never had much luck with them. This was my third. The first became carpet jerky in less than a week (still don't know how he managed to squeeze out the tiny gap in the corner of my tank), the second became laterally S shaped around christmas, kept eating etc, just bendy. Was a looking a bit unhappy around easter and I was going away for a week, so sent him to fishy heaven. Left it 2 months to make sure rest of fish were fine. Then got the third, who spawned like crazy with my female, then did this! Have decided to give the dwarfs a rest for a while :lol:

Was considering that Caryl, but then the heater power cable would be running across the tank still :-? Damn heaters and filter lol. I like tanks as natural looking as possible. Might shift it along next time I have my arm in there and see how it looks

When I set my tank up, LFS told me that I should keep the top end (with the nob to adjust the temperature) out of the water. In your pic it looks pretty well submerged :o

Just a question, you have really fine gravel on the bottom with bigger stones on top, what's the reason for doing that?

Cheers.

Depends on what heater you bought, some are not fully submersible, and have to be kept out of the water. Most types can be put fully underwater, like the Aqua One heater I have in there.

The fine stuff on the bottom is Propogating Sand, its fine enough for the plants to root into (compared with the gravel on top) but not so fine it'll compact and end up with pockets of toxic gas. Not sure what else it does lol. I used the gravel on top because I like dark substrates (shows up fish colour better) and it was free lol

You'll find a lot of people with live plants will use Daltons Aquatic mix (a kind of clay mix) at the bottom, then the propagating sand, and then even another layer of gravel. Good for the plants. I didn't get the aquatic mix as I might have to shift the tank at the end of the year and didn't want a big mucky mess when taking the substrates out

Cool, just checking. My pH is usually low in my other tank as I use rainwater for changes. Used tap water to fill the big tank though, wasn't quite enough rainwater in my 20 litre collection bucket :wink:

I bought a cuttlebone last year for my small tank, I still have a spare here so might chuck that in the filter to buffer it a bit. Yup, no chemicals :D