My Discus Have Spawned

Matt

The best looking and biggest of my Discus which I got from Freshwest :hail:, have spawned for the first time in my 450 litre Community Tank. So far they are doing an excellent job of protecting their eggs. They spawned yesterday and the eggs are still there this morning, I am not holding out much hope of them surviving with 7 other Discus, 20+ tetras, 3 Cory's and 2 bristlenose's in with them. Fingers crossed though, I will be moving the pair in to their own tank soon if this batch gets eaten.

See pics below.

Mum and Dad

IMG_1782.jpg

IMG_1779.jpg

Mum and Dad are doing a great job and the eggs are still there this morning. I did a 20% water change last night to keep the water nice and clean, normally I would change 40% once or twice a week.

What is the ideal size tank for keeping and breeding a pair of Discus in?

I have a spare 100Lx50Wx50H cm 250 litre tank with 4 small GBA's in it and I have a smaller 60Lx30Wx45H cm which I could set up if needed. I am thinking that I could keep the pair in the smaller tank and then move the babies to the bigger tank once they outgrow the smaller one.

Cheers,

Matt

I have a spare 100Lx50Wx50H cm 250 litre tank with 4 small GBA's in it and I have a smaller 60Lx30Wx45H cm which I could set up if needed. I am thinking that I could keep the pair in the smaller tank and then move the babies to the bigger tank once they outgrow the smaller one.

I am in no way an expert but from what ive read and seen, they seem to be pretty good sized tanks for what you want. The growout tank might be a little big though cos you will need to be doing daily water changes at least so you will need 200 odd litres of prepared water for them!!

Good luck with the babies!

Hey Matt.....you could use the smaller tank but it is on the small side at 22.5 gallons. A good recommended breeding pair tank is 29 gallons. Your bigger tank is 69 gallons which may be a bit too big. Great as a grow out but only if you can change enough water as evil said.

Well I got home from work last night, and the eggs were gone.......and in there place was a bunch of wrigglers being staunchly protected by the parents. I left one of the lights on last night and they are still there this morning :bounce: .

Any advice on what to do next? Do I try and move them or just leave them in the community tank? When should I start hatching Brine Shrimp?

Can anyone point me to any good articles online?

Sorry for all the questions :D. Pics to come later.

Cheers,

Matt

Fry are now free swimming and feeding off the parents, only problem is they try to feed off the other blue coloured discus when they swim past and get eaten :o . There was about 40+ this morning and at lunch time I could count 10, some could have been on the other side of the parent though.

A couple more pics from:

IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

I think I am going to have to buy another tank to put these two in as my existing tanks aren't suitable, hmmmm MTS :roll:

Cheers,

Matt

Babies were all gone by the time I got home last night and the parents were very mad at each other and scrapping constantly. They seem better this morning - possibly due to the lights being turned off last night for the first time in 3 days. Hopefully I don't have to seperate them, you can actually see the bite marks in the sides of each of them :o .

Another Discus is trying to pair up with one of them now, my tank is worse than Jerry Springer at the moment :lol: .

Rather than buying another tank that I don't have room for I am going to divide my 250 litre and use a reduced water level to give them their own tank - if they get over their disagreement that is :lol: .

Cheers,

Matt

Well it has been another interesting 24 hours in my tank :D .

I got home last night to see the father from the last spawn and another Blue discus (which is almost identical to the original female he spawned with just a bit bigger) finishing off laying about 100 eggs about 10cm away from where he spawned with the original female, who by the way is still hanging out where they originally spawned looking for their babies.

This morning when I checked the tank they were still guarding about 50 eggs plus a pair of Marlboro Orange Discus have now layed on a rock 30cm away from the other pair.

I will try and get a pic of both pairs guarding there eggs tonight :bounce: .

Does anyone in Auckland have any suitably sized tanks/setups to house a breeding pair for sale?

Cheers,

Matt

The male jumped ship cuz he thought the female wasn't protective enough of their fry... haha jokes

Mmmm now MTS really kicks in. I've got 11 tanks operating in my room, 5 are dedicated to discus, 2 are breeding pair tanks...

Goodluck. You really do need a seperate tank to breed them in

Well the Blue Discus eggs didn't even last 24 hours but the Marlboro Orange are still there. The original Blue Female was definitely better at protecting the eggs, hopefully the male sees the light and they kiss and make up :lol: .

I will definitely get both pairs there own tank in the near future, just trying to find time with a 6 week old baby boy and playing rugby.

Good tip about using computer paper to make the sides of the tank white in another thread Luke. I will definitely use that one. I also read, on another forum, to wrap any black sponge filters in white filter wool so the babies don't mistake them for their parents.

Cheers,

Matt